Clops: The Blind Cleft Lid Chick (Updates, Advice, and Discussion Thread)

Pics
Is there a gap at the deformity when outer lids are closed??
Can be hard to catch the motion of the inner lids.
No there's no gap when she closes her eyes, you almost can't tell she's deformed until she opens them.

My husband told it "You're lucky you hatched at this house because you wouldn't be here anymore in other houses. Don't worry this crazy lady will treat you like gold" I don't think the chick cared, but he knows my heart and knows I'll do everything possible.

I have my little composite wood coop that can fit 4 chickens so maybe I'll make a smaller flock and put her (or him) with them.

The hardest part about this whole thing for me is trying to listen to every opinion without allowing my emotions to control my response. Some think I'm wrong for keeping, some like that I'm trying, and some have dealt with it with success.

Every response I take a deep breath and try to respond as good as I can.

I do have other housing for it if my flock wants to pick on it but I'm not even to that stage. I'm only on the first 24 hours of it's life.

I'm trying to take this one day at a time and not think too far ahead.

Some think I'm wrong for keeping, some like that I'm trying, and some have dealt with it with success.
Every response I take a deep breath and try to respond as good as I can.
The varied opinions will always exist....you do what you think is right.
No need to respond to everyone, you certainly don't have to justify your decisions.

... the cleft eyelid ......
That's what I am going to call it from now on since that's what it basically looks like. It looks like cleft lip but on an eyelid.
Good Call.

@FortCluck , you know that whatever happens, and whatever you choose to do, we here at BYC are here for you. We've got your back. You asked our opinions, and you've gotten the whole range of suggestions. But nobody is going to fault you for whatever you decide. This chick is in your hands and we know you'll take good care of her as long as you can. She's in good hands! :hugs

The varied opinions will always exist....you do what you think is right.
No need to respond to everyone, you certainly don't have to justify your decisions.

Good Call.
I definitely love the varied opinions on here because it always gives me something to think on.

When we did our family discussion, I put everything out on the table that everyone on here said. I didn't water down anything either, so my entire family knows what the outcome could be whether good or bad. Some of the outcomes my family didn't even know could happen, but I did.

@FortCluck , you know that whatever happens, and whatever you choose to do, we here at BYC are here for you. We've got your back. You asked our opinions, and you've gotten the whole range of suggestions. But nobody is going to fault you for whatever you decide. This chick is in your hands and we know you'll take good care of her as long as you can. She's in good hands! :hugs
I'm definitely glad that I asked people for their advice and opinions because when I brought this to the dinner table last night with my family, it was quite eye opening for them.

Some of the opinions and advice my family didn't even know could be an outcome or an option so it really helped when I dropped everything on the table last night.

I think the one thing in this household that's most worried about that chick is my beagle. Anytime any of the chicks makes a noise she will go to the door and start whining to let me know that one of the chicks needs me. She is a sweetheart, but given a chance with the chicks alone, they'd become McNuggets 🙈

Back
Top Bottom