Close call for the pup last night?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bobbi-j, Nov 5, 2014.

1. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    We put our 11-month old Redbone Coonhound mix pup out for the night last night. Well, around 1:30 this morning he was barking, howling and baying non-stop so I decided to let him in so he'd quiet down. (We don't have close neighbors, but our window was open and I had to get up for work this morning). As I opened the door to the deck, Ruger was on the deck steps facing the grove. I heard coyotes yipping in the grove right in line with our house. Our grove is only 10 yards at the farthest from the corner of the attached garage... I don't know if he'd have tried to take them on or not, but the pup will be spending his nights inside for awhile. (Even though DH is not happy with this plan.)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good idea - the coyotes would enjoy a tender 11 month old pup. Several years ago we were visiting our daughter and SIL on the outskirts of Atlanta. When all 'heck' broke out in their back yard. A family of coyotes was trying to take on their GSH pointer and Dalmatian/lab mix through the chain link fence. They can be brazen when hungry or in a large family group.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yikes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by