Close call with a hawk

kidd42

Songster
10 Years
Feb 1, 2009
Valley Springs, Ca.
So I had the girls free ranging all day yesterday while I was at work. Have had the original flock for two years now and never had a predator problem, even though we are in the country in the foothills. Got home from work and went to check on "the girls" all was fine. I went out to check on the garden, and while out there the ferral cat that has adopted us was out there so I sat down on a rock to scratch her ears. All was fine for about 10 minutes when I heard the girls make a rukus, and all of a sudden a large redtail hawk landed in the tree in the yard and was eyeing the flock. The girls had all scattered in different directions, I stood up and the hawk saw me and flew off. I went into the yard that they free range in, and they all came running to me, even the new batam roo who spars with me ever chance he gets. I got them all into the hen house with the covered run, much to their chargrin and protest's. I guess the girls will be locked up for awhile now.

I hadv2 circling my yard when my flock was out free ranging so I stood on the raised garden bed and shook a kids toybshovel at them...they got the point and flew away but it was a lessonbthat hawks are around and I need to supervise the flock when they are out og the run.

Quote:
Yes, but normally they like smaller prey.... They do not carry a larger animal like a chicken off, but must eat it where killed and they do not like that idea unless very hungry as it is very dangerous for them.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, I don't know how big your crows are but I had a raven kill and eat a half grown African goose, that was probably about 6 pounds, this spring and when it came back my Leghorn rooster attacked and as I ran towards them he flew off, has not been back since. A good rooster will be the first one tyo the fight and will alert the hens to hide. Having hiding spots around the range area helps and stretching fruit tree netting panels will block out attacking birds. As said before, hawks don't like being on the ground too long because they can become prey.

Quote:
If you don't breed chickens and want a big rooster as a guard for the hens, it was suggested to me to look at a Saipan. My area is too cold for one but it might be a help to you

Back
Top Bottom