close call with hawk

Henway Park

Chirping
12 Years
Dec 21, 2011
I just happened to walk thru my kitchen and look out the window to see all my chickens flying, and thought a dog was chasing.
As I got to the door, a bundle of feathers went flying past; as it turned out it was one of my chickens with a hawk, smaller than the chicken, wrapped around it. I scared off the hawk, and the hen was unharmed, though a little traumatized. I've kept them in the run since, hoping the hawk will forget about them. They are used to free ranging and unhappy with the confinement. I know the price of free ranging is predator risk; any suggestions on how to discourage the hawks?

Hi, I am new to the site, and am having my first winter with chickens - 6 hens- but one experience I can talk about is hawks. We have hawks that ride the thermals over the valley who finally noticed my girls last summer. Since that time I have learned the meaning of the term "watched like a hawk." The hawks don't ever forget where they saw those tasty meals. They check back frequently, and will stake out the property waiting for their chance.

So far, the girls have not been harmed, but they spend much more time in their coop, and when they are out I pay attention to the sky and other birds. I will need to do something to make their area safer in the spring...maybe bird netting...

Good luck protecting your flock.

well unfortunatly the only thing you can do is build them an enclosed run so they can free range with security. we have a hawk that literally will hide in our bushes and watch. we lost one chicken a week ago and another was attacked but saved. get a dog run you can buy sections and make it as big as you like but just remember that you need a roof. This spring we are going to build and 8x8 shed/coop with a 6x10 run that we can always add to later. right now i have a makshift run, that I have to keep going outside to shake the snow off so the roof wont cave. its ugly but it is working.

We are in the same boat! We have had a family of hawks that are always checking out my chickens. I have a broody that just hatched out 10 chicks on the 29th of Dec and one of the hawks flew inside my coop with me sitting next to the babies and took one. I ended up putting a black curtain in the door way so it wouldn't be able to see in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom