Close call

My2butterflies

Crowing
Apr 14, 2020
Minnesota
Little story.

The other day my husband and I were sitting by the pond just relaxing and chatting. I noticed a couple guineas fly in from the field, but that wasn’t too odd. I didn’t think much of it. My males are often chasing each other right now.
A moment later I see what I first thought was two more guineas flying in. Turned out to be one pearl guinea and a hawk that swooped down at it! 😱
I jumped up and ran towards them calling my guinea that turned and flew/ran towards me. The hawk took off the moment it saw me coming. And thankfully my guinea got away with nothing more then a couple ruffled feathers. I thought I’d have a heart attack 😣 That’s the first time I’ve seen a hawk or any bird of prey swoop at my birds.
I see them fly low and slow over head often, but this was a heart pounding first.

The experience lead to a discussion between us about what size bird an eagle could carry off. Hawks and owls I suspect could only carry off with a standard size guinea, turkey hen, or chicken. Eagles I’m sure can take those plus the French guineas. That leaves the turkey Tom’s. I don’t think an eagle can carry a full grown Tom. My husband thinks they can.

Anyone know the answer?

Stipenvlerk

Crowing
May 22, 2020
The Netherlands
Little story.

The other day my husband and I were sitting by the pond just relaxing and chatting. I noticed a couple guineas fly in from the field, but that wasn’t too odd. I didn’t think much of it. My males are often chasing each other right now.
A moment later I see what I first thought was two more guineas flying in. Turned out to be one pearl guinea and a hawk that swooped down at it! 😱
I jumped up and ran towards them calling my guinea that turned and flew/ran towards me. The hawk took off the moment it saw me coming. And thankfully my guinea got away with nothing more then a couple ruffled feathers. I thought I’d have a heart attack 😣 That’s the first time I’ve seen a hawk or any bird of prey swoop at my birds.
I see them fly low and slow over head often, but this was a heart pounding first.

The experience lead to a discussion between us about what size bird an eagle could carry off. Hawks and owls I suspect could only carry off with a standard size guinea, turkey hen, or chicken. Eagles I’m sure can take those plus the French guineas. That leaves the turkey Tom’s. I don’t think an eagle can carry a full grown Tom. My husband thinks they can.

Anyone know the answer?
Glad your Guinea escaped...😧

Sydney65

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
Indiana
Survey says- 4-5 # in flight. More if they are just hopping around. But they also eat carion, so wouldn't necessarily need to fly away. We had one in a tree in our back yard a few months ago. She could see & hear the goons but I haven't removed winter shields yet so no way for her to get in. Last I heard she was in subdivision about 3 m up the way from here & folks were freaking out for their dogs, cats, etc.
I wonder who would win between an eagle and a turkey vulture..we have lots of those.

Mixed flock enthusiast

Free Ranging
May 21, 2018
Stillwater, OK
Little story.

Anyone know the answer?
Wow - too close! We’ve lost a duck and a guinea to a red tailed hawk, I think. The duck was a small mallard girl, probably 3 lb and was left in place. The guinea disappeared, but that might have been a scavenger removing the carcass at night. If a raptor can’t carry more than its own weight, then it would have to be a truly massive raptor to carry off a guinea or large fowl chicken.
http://hawksaloft.org/hawks-aloft-inc-2/frequently-asked-questions/

My2butterflies

Crowing
Apr 14, 2020
Minnesota
4-5# is kinda what I was thinking.
Definitely too close for comfort. We’ve done pretty good the past two years. Only lost one young pullet to a bird of prey. This year looks like it could be a bad year for us. So many large birds around😑

Top Bottom