closed eyes

lilohi

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2020
One of my chick's eyes started to close. Yesterday, it was just one eye closing and it would still open occasionally, but today, its eyes have been closed the whole time. It still eats a lot and acts perfectly normal so I'm not sure why this is happening. It's raised with 2 other chicks and they're both fine. I thought maybe it got its eyes poked but I don't see any signs of blood or injury.

Attachments

• c1.jpeg
    c1.jpeg
    44.7 KB · Views: 7
  • c2.jpeg
    c2.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 3
I would clean the eyes with saline. Look for any dirt or bedding in the eyes. Pecks are very common. Early signs of a respiratory infection also can cause the eyes ro be irritated or crusty. Is she acting sleepy? You may want to feed her and water her to make sure that she is getting enough.

One of my chick's eyes started to close. Yesterday, it was just one eye closing and it would still open occasionally, but today, its eyes have been closed the whole time. It still eats a lot and acts perfectly normal so I'm not sure why this is happening. It's raised with 2 other chicks and they're both fine. I thought maybe it got its eyes poked but I don't see any signs of blood or injury.
members.jpg

I would clean the eyes with saline. Look for any dirt or bedding in the eyes. Pecks are very common. Early signs of a respiratory infection also can cause the eyes ro be irritated or crusty. Is she acting sleepy? You may want to feed her and water her to make sure that she is getting enough.
It's very energetic and eating as much as usual which is why I'm so confused as it doesn't seem sick at all. Is there a specific saline I should use?

You can make it homemade by using 1 tsp of table salt to a liter or quart of water, bringing to a boil and simmer for a few minutes. Then put it into a clean jar. Or buy some saline eye wash, such as Bausch and Lomb at a pharmacy. Plain Neosporin ointment can be used as well, or if you can get it at a feedstore, Terramycin eye ointment. Have you seen any chick peck her? They love to peck shiny objects.

You can make it homemade by using 1 tsp of table salt to a liter or quart of water, bringing to a boil and simmer for a few minutes. Then put it into a clean jar. Or buy some saline eye wash, such as Bausch and Lomb at a pharmacy. Plain Neosporin ointment can be used as well, or if you can get it at a feedstore, Terramycin eye ointment. Have you seen any chick peck her? They love to peck shiny objects.
Tysm! I haven't seen them peck her but I'm not around all day so they might've. Do I just drop it on her like eyedrops or rub with a qtip? I'm pretty new to all this so I really appreciate your help!

Back
Top Bottom