Closed red, swollen eye

Here's an updated picture of Buffy, taken 1/21/17. She still can't see, obviously. The swelling has gone down quite a bit and it looks more like a "normal eye" meaning dark circle in middle with white corners. There's a dark spot at the bottom. She's not laying eggs again, but I think that has to do with it being so dark lately and the cold. She's not the only one not laying.

So it looks like her eye has "popped". I let my hens out this morning while cleaning up the yard and her eye looked the same as it always does when I picked her up to put her in the yard.... I don't have a picture. It looks pretty much the same (mostly a cross between milky white and translucent with a small dark spot where her pupil would be), except there's chunks of translucent "stuff" floating around in her eye now. I tried flushing it out but nothing happened.

It probably happened while she was taking a dust bath in the garden with 4 other hens, since they were all crammed into an area that's roughly 1.5 square feet and they were all pecking at each other for more space.

She seems fine. My husband thinks the eye is dead, comparing it to a deer's eye a couple days after getting one while hunting. It didn't seem to bother her.. she was acting normal and was more concerned with getting sunflower seeds... As always, I'll have to keep watching her.

Unfortunately Buffy has passed away. Either this morning or last night. I found her this afternoon curled up behind the feeder in the run. I think she may have been egg bound since the only other time she went behind the feeder was when she was egg bound last year but we don't know. We buried her in the backyard...

Back
Top Bottom