Cloudy Days in the Coop - My Adventures with Chickens.

Boba:
Boba is one if my Silkie Bantams. She is, hands down, my sweetest chicken of the flock. Whenever they are free-ranging and I come to call them in, I can see her fluffy head bobbing up and down as she runs as fast as she can on her little legs towards me. I brought Boba home from the feed store along with Minnie, Kiki, Mochi, (you’ll learn about her soon), and two others who ended up being roosters, which I can’t keep. :( Anyway, Boba is also about 7 months now, and if any of my chickens were to be a house chicken, it would be her. She’s always jumping up onto my lap and loves attention. She’s constantly bullied by some of her flock mates, but she knows that if she’s in my arms, they can’t get to her, so in my arms is where she likes to be. She started laying a few weeks ago, and lays almost every day currently. Her eggs are without a blemish, small, cream colored, and round. They’re so adorable! Boba likes to dust bathe in all the wrong places, like my herb garden. Actually, almost all of my chickens seem to prefer to dust bathe there. Any ideas why? Boba has trouble eating bigger things, even grapes can be difficult, but I’ve found that she adores corn on the cob. :)
View attachment 2347801
View attachment 2347803

View attachment 2347807
Oh she LOOKS like a boba! Now I've got a hankering for some boba tea...

Ponyo:
Ponyo is my Rhode Island Red and about 2 years old. She came home 2 weeks after I bought my first chicks, because I couldn't resist. :love And let's just put it this way - Ponyo has quite the character! From the first day I brought her home, she didn't let anything bother her. Despite being much smaller compared to the other, older chicks, she would match right up to them and show them who's boss. For a while, I was worried she would become a bully, but no. She was just the bravest and most curious chick I met. Once, my old cat Ginger was stalking Ponyo when she was about 2 months old. I was running towards the two to save Ponyo when Ponyo turned to Ginger and pecked the cat right on the nose! Ponyo is also my little escape artist - no matter what I do, she always seems to find a way to escape the chicken run! The other day she dug a deep hole under the wire of the run - that chicken loves to free range! She also loves to go on little excursions to my porch when I’m making lunch. How she knows when to come is beyond me, but she always hopes for a little taste of it. When it’s cold or hot out, I often see Ponyo try to sneak into the house to warm up and cool down. And she always dust bathes in my potted plants. It makes quite the mess! I could go on and on about Ponyo’s silly antics!😄 But, anyway, Ponyo is very friendly and surprisingly not the head hen. She lays brown eggs all year long, even in the winter. I think her favorite treat is either raman or popcorn...not sure which. And she loves to sun bathe! Whenever the sun is out of the clouds, you can be sure to find her in a sunbeam. All in all, I would award Ponyo as the most funny chicken in my flock. :D
5C7B649E-2B3A-4768-898A-A30BA92C1E98.jpeg

57AF4A09-20A6-4D5A-BBD6-53CB54537B1B.jpeg

3C709FCE-6C71-4D47-9E95-A441A6D1B731.jpeg

The dear was in a molt when I snapped these pictures, so she looks a little disheveled

Ponyo:
Ponyo is my Rhode Island Red and about 2 years old. She came home 2 weeks after I bought my first chicks, because I couldn't resist. :love And let's just put it this way - Ponyo has quite the character! From the first day I brought her home, she didn't let anything bother her. Despite being much smaller compared to the other, older chicks, she would match right up to them and show them who's boss. For a while, I was worried she would become a bully, but no. She was just the bravest and most curious chick I met. Once, my old cat Ginger was stalking Ponyo when she was about 2 months old. I was running towards the two to save Ponyo when Ponyo turned to Ginger and pecked the cat right on the nose! Ponyo is also my little escape artist - no matter what I do, she always seems to find a way to escape the chicken run! The other day she dug a deep hole under the wire of the run - that chicken loves to free range! She also loves to go on little excursions to my porch when I’m making lunch. How she knows when to come is beyond me, but she always hopes for a little taste of it. When it’s cold or hot out, I often see Ponyo try to sneak into the house to warm up and cool down. And she always dust bathes in my potted plants. It makes quite the mess! I could go on and on about Ponyo’s silly antics!😄 But, anyway, Ponyo is very friendly and surprisingly not the head hen. She lays brown eggs all year long, even in the winter. I think her favorite treat is either raman or popcorn...not sure which. And she loves to sun bathe! Whenever the sun is out of the clouds, you can be sure to find her in a sunbeam. All in all, I would award Ponyo as the most funny chicken in my flock. :D
View attachment 2349401
View attachment 2349406
View attachment 2349408
The dear was in a molt when I snapped these pictures, so she looks a little disheveled
Awww.... she is so pretty! :love

I love your stories! I got into keeping chickens when my husband and I retired and bought a couple of acres in the country. I wanted chickens for the eggs. When I researched breeds on YouTube, my three criteria were (1) I wanted a breed that didn't get broody; (2) I wanted a hardy breed that could tolerate the West Texas heat; and (3) I wanted a prolific breed. But when I noticed that the experts on YouTube talked about which breeds were the prettiest, the friendliest, and the most docile, I knew we had a disconnect going on. I had no idea that chickens are fun. I love my girls, not because of the eggs (though that is very exciting), but because they're hilarious. I sit under our oak tree every evening and give them their daily treat of oatmeal. And If I don't show up, they congregate on the back patio and knock on the glass doors, demanding that I show up with oatmeal and do it immediately.

I love your stories! I got into keeping chickens when my husband and I retired and bought a couple of acres in the country. I wanted chickens for the eggs. When I researched breeds on YouTube, my three criteria were (1) I wanted a breed that didn't get broody; (2) I wanted a hardy breed that could tolerate the West Texas heat; and (3) I wanted a prolific breed. But when I noticed that the experts on YouTube talked about which breeds were the prettiest, the friendliest, and the most docile, I knew we had a disconnect going on. I had no idea that chickens are fun. I love my girls, not because of the eggs (though that is very exciting), but because they're hilarious. I sit under our oak tree every evening and give them their daily treat of oatmeal. And If I don't show up, they congregate on the back patio and knock on the glass doors, demanding that I show up with oatmeal and do it immediately.
That's an incredible story! I love that they come to your door for their oatmeal! :D What breeds did you end up getting? :)

Emily:
Emily is my Buff Orpington and 2 years old. She doesn't like being held, but she’s very sweet and caring in her own way. For example, when my new chicks began to be introduced to the flock, Emily would stand up for the little ones and protect them from the bullies. Emily is indifferent in the pecking order, preferring to be a peaceful chicken without squabbles. Emily often goes broody, though not as much as Jasmine. Maybe someday I’ll let her hatch some chicks...Emily goes crazy for watermelon and basically any food. When she was a chick, she’d fall asleep in the chick feeder. It was pretty adorable. :love
BD1BC611-738D-4D1F-A053-CC7A8D89C4E5.jpeg

B9BE2BFE-E2F0-4DF9-BEDF-155CB56D17EC.jpeg

87BA122E-3B6D-414B-AA13-55F45754216D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom