Cloudy eye/How do you give a chicken eye drops?

Seabright12

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 23, 2016
Oklahoma
A few days ago I noticed my favorite hen keeping one of her eyes closed. When she opened it, it looked fine but each day the eye has gotten cloudier until today it is almost completely white. I suspect she got in a fight since a few hours before I first noticed it she was with another hen squabbling over a nesting box. The first day I was able to get a drop of Vetericyn Opthalmic Gel in her eye. But it doesn't seem to have done anything. She scratches the eye with her foot and rubs it against her body. Otherwise, she is breathing normally. There is no pus although she keeps the eye closed almost constantly. It does look a little swollen. She is still eating, drinking, and laying eggs although she does seem to hang out in the coop by herself a lot during the day. She's not getting pecked on and she's also getting daily vitamins.

Should I keep trying to give her eye drops? If so, does anyone have any advice on giving chickens eye drops!? Should I be giving her another type of medicine? Thanks!

She might need antibiotic eye drops or ointment. Can you see a vet? Is there pus in her eye? Sometimes they can get pecked or get sometime in the eye that may fester and become infected. Someone may need to hold her still while you open her eye with thumb and forefinger to look inside, clean out gunk, and apply eye drops. This is a graphic video of getting pus out of a chickens eye:

Here is a good antibiotic eye ointment:
https://www.chewy.com/neo-poly-bac-generic-ophthalmic/dp/173399
Ciprofloxacin eye drops are antibiotic and may be purchased here if in stock:
https://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=952
Terramycin eye ointment is sometimes found in feed stores, but ask a clerk for them.

Ointment will be better for a chicken, it will last longer. Just hold her eye open and run a ribbon of ointment across the eye. If she is rubbing it it is probably painful. It is also likely sensitive to light. She may stay in the coop because it’s darker.

So the Terramycyin has been working well. She's opening her eye now and back to her normal strength. However there is still some puss in there and I know if we could just get it out she could probably see fine. My problem now is that I just can't hold her still to squeeze anything out of her eye, even with an extra set of hands. The videos make it look so easy. Does anybody have suggestions on how to hold her down on her side? Or just keep her head still enough to open her eye? I feel like I'm putting a lot of pressure on her to keep her still and she still wriggles out of my hold. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom