Cloudy pupil

ziggybond007

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 7, 2014
My almost 3 year old black Ameraucana boy has a cloudy pupil. I’m thinking cataract as that eye has a history of injuries (you can see he is missing that eyelid thanks to a rooster that he grew up with). I just noticed the funny coloration this morning, and he can see light but not my hand. Has anyone else seen something similar? I’m taking him to a livestock vet when they open next week to make sure it’s nothing else serious. He has gone off of pellets but is still eating scratch and drinking.

He’s a house rooster so he doesn’t go outside, and he has been kinda sneezy lately so he needs to go get checked out anyway. His left eye is fine and clear.

Attachments

• 649E884C-7340-4DE5-B380-4263CFBA9207.jpeg
    649E884C-7340-4DE5-B380-4263CFBA9207.jpeg
    549.5 KB · Views: 21
I think you're right. Good job getting to a Vet for confirmation. I have an 11 year old Easter Egger that is blind with a bit of cloudiness to her eyes but she manages perfectly fine! Chickens are highly adaptable!
Egg has been through the ringer when it comes to injuries. Like broken jaw, missing eyelid, got hung up in a fence and couldn’t walk for a few weeks. His throat got severely damaged from the two butt-kickings his brother gave him. Going blind in one eye is par the course for him 😅 11! That is amazing. How does she figure out where to eat and drink?

Broken jaw? That's incredible! He does have a laundry list of injuries!! :eek:

I keep my feed pans and water bucket in the same place so that Butterscotch is able to find them. She can even manage to roost. She moves about slowly and cautiously.

I have a 8 year old Sultan hen that is also blind. I keep her in a small(er) dog cage with her "sister" Ebony and keep the food/water dishes in the same spot.

With the Sultan hen, I figured that perhaps it's a breed thing to go blind as they seem to be more delicate. With my EE hen, I figure it's just her age.

What I'm trying to say is that even if he does have blindness, he should do just fine!

Back
Top Bottom