Clover

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pricklyash, Sep 8, 2011.

1. pricklyash

pricklyash New Egg

Sep 8, 2011
    My chickens go bonkers for clover, which is great as it is probably the most common weed growing around this place.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    my chickens love clover too

3. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Yes, clover is great for all types of poultry and livestock! It is also nutritious.

4. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    where i live the pasture my chickens free range is all tall grass

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

When I put their grass clippings (2-3 inches long) in the pens every day or so, the clover is the first thing they pick out.

And if I sing "Clooo- verrrrr"

they come RUNNING.

6. ChickenGirl165

ChickenGirl165 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Melbourne
    my chickens love clovers and my backyard is swarming with them! (not like they can eat them cuz they have a run. There run used to have clovers but now their poo is killing the poor clovers [​IMG]. We are moving them soon so they can grow back. Once in a while ill choose a good clover from the garden, stick my hand in and let them peck away. XD

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  7. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Quote:Clover is not a common weed. It is a legume. It is excellent in a pasture and makes quite expensive hay. lol.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  8. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Clover seed used to be mixed with grass seed for lawn planting up until chemical weed controls became popular. The chemicals kill the clover along with all the other non grass weeds. Several of my really old lawn and gardening books talk about the amount of clover to seed with.

I love clover. It's so soft underfoot and takes mowing so well. Stays green longer than the grass in the summer, too. I'd love a small outdoor reading area with just clover.

My birds love the clover and dandelions. After the rain comes back, I have some to plant just for them.

9. Sinfonian

Sinfonian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Seattle area
    I wish mine liked clover, buttercups and morning glory. I've got too much of it. /sigh

10. jeremynj

jeremynj New Egg

Sep 10, 2011
    I just bought a pound of clover seed for the yard to help out my bee hive, i'm glad to hear the birds like it too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by