Cluck Cluck from Killbuck, Oh.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rnjoyce, Aug 31, 2011.

1. rnjoyce

rnjoyce New Egg

Aug 19, 2011
    Hi everyone, hope I'm posting to right place. I'm Joyce, my husband FarmerBill & I are new to chickens. We got 6 RI's this spring and they just started laying. We were so thrilled to see that first egg, I couldn't believe it! It was soooooo cute. Small, but cute! Those girls get prettier everyday...Bill has them totally spoiled too. He feeds them better than he feeds me![​IMG] But thats ok, they deserve it! Those girls go nuts when they hear his voice or see him anytime. He calls them his "fellas". [​IMG] And says they don't mind! I am getting addicted to this site though. It has all the answers to my newbee questions so far. Thank you everyone!
    Question: Even though the chicks are 6 months, it's Sep. here, should we put their light on when it gets chillier at night?????

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello there and welcome from Strasburg Ohio! So glad to hear you guys are enjoying your new chickens, and that you've gotten your first eggs! So much fun!

I do have a few heat bulbs outside in the coop during the winter months, but it's really not required. If you light the coop during the winter hours, then your hens will continue to lay their eggs. (They need those extended hours of light to produce eggs.) Some people like to give their hens a break during the winter months, so they can use their energy to keep warm. (That' s a hot topic)

I do light mine because with the red heat bulbs inside my hen house, then out in the run, I have the white heat bulbs. (I place my water bucket on the ground below and it helps keep it from freezing.

Also, if you put a coating of vasceline on their combs, it helps prevent frost bite on the tips.

Well, you take care and so glad you joined!
    Sharon

3. rnjoyce

rnjoyce New Egg

Aug 19, 2011
    Thanks chicmom! Any advice is appreciated to help us take care of these girls the right way![​IMG]

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

5. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    If they are in a draft free area, chickens can actually tolerate a lot more cold than people think.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  6. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    [​IMG]
    from central queensland OZ

7. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga.

WELCOME ABOARD. [​IMG]

8. pengimama

pengimama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Irwin, OH
    [​IMG] from Central Ohio. Winter is a hot topic in this house too. It's coming fast and I definitely don't feel prepared either! [​IMG]

9. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hi Joyce, from Big Bear Calif, always good to meet another feather brainier. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by