Cluckingham Palace, finished in time for the new arrivals . . .

Well done!

thumbsup.gif

These pictures probably aren't as detailed as they should be, but they give you an idea. The rope for the door travels through the side of the structure, so it can be operated from the outside. There is a 3/8" dowel, about 8 inches long, that also extends through the side of the structure, which can be pulled out and pushed in from the front of the house. (You can barely see it in these photos.) To open the door pull out the dowel, raise the door, and push the dowel back in. The door rests on the dowel, and remains open.
48792_p1010016.jpg

To close the door pull out the dowel, lower the door, and push the dowel back in. This 'locks' the door for the evening.
48792_p1010017.jpg

The door rides in a track made out of 2" x 2" fir, and--to keep it from getting clogged up with, uh, well. . . to keep the door from getting clogged up, the bottom door rest is another dowel. The, uh, well, 'stuff' hits the dowel and falls through to the floor. It has been in operation for a few months now, and I haven't yet had any "Wish I'd . . ." issues with it.

As for the comment about the stainless steel tray underneath the roost, I can't BELIEVE how many times I've said to myself how glad I was I did that! It makes the house so much easier to maintain.

Back
Top Bottom