Clues

Alumentum

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 19, 2011
Fernandina Beach Florida
Hi guys. Well, I'm counting down the days till chick day at the local feed stores. My parents told me I could get two chicks at that time. I am hoping to get D'Uccle chicks but, I need some help.

Does anyone have some clues or tips to help me pick out D'Uccle pullet chicks? Some pics would be great!

Awww ! I love that you want d'uccles ! That's what I raise and show. Any d'uccles at a feed store will probably be mille fleurs. Look for down on the outside edges of their legs and tufts of down sticking out on their cheeks. If they are milles, they'll be tan to reddish brown with black streaks. How old are you ? Are you getting them to do 4-H with ?

Thanks for the tips! The Milles are my favorite D'Uccles. Is there anyway to tell the genders apart at such a young age?

I'm 20 years old and I'm not doing a 4-h project. However, I'm diagnosed with depression and I'm hating the side affects of my medicine. I'm getting bantam hens mainly as companions because I found that the sounds my previous hens made gave me the same happy feeling my meds give me without the side affects.

Maybe, if the chicks grow up and look nice I'lll try my hand at showing them!

It can be hard to tell genders when they are so young. When they get to be a couple of weeks old, you can see on some of them that the roosters will have a slightly larger comb than the pullets, but you can't tell with all of them right away. Let me know if you don't find what you want. I often have several pet quality milles or d'uccles in other colors that I would love to find a great home for. I could ship for the cost of shipping only.

You can order them from Idealpoultry.com. The price listed per chick includes shipping.
You can't order just two, though, and they don't sex them.

If you can get 3, My Pet Chicken offers sexed pullet bantams. It won't be cheap but you could avoid the disappointment of choosing two roosters.

Or, you can get older pullets from a breeder...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom