Clumps of eggs at the base of feathers?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by greenhead, Mar 30, 2009.

1. greenhead

greenhead Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2009
    we have a banty hen that has some sort of bug living in her? it is laying eggs at the base of the feathers? do we bath her?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Sounds like Mites. I'm sure there are about 5 others answering this posts right now.
    There's lots if info here about mites.
    Imp
    ETA I've never had this problem. You can do a search for the proper info to get rid of them. Good Luck They can be serious.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  3. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    I think I would get a Pyrethrin lice duster (I think that's correct spelling) and dust her - bathing may or may not kill the bugs but I doubt it would kill the eggs). You can find this in the horse/cattle section of your local farm store.

4. greenhead

greenhead Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2009
    thanks for the info. do you think that bathing her and using a puppy flea and tick spray will work?

5. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    I would not use a product that is not specifically for birds. Many people use Sevin powder to dust the bird. Make sure you dust the bird again in two weeks when the eggs are hatched, since Sevin won't kill the eggs.
    You should also dust aroung their nests, roosts, and dust bathing areas.

6. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    You should be able to find ProZap Poultry Dust (pyrethrins) at your local farm supply store. To dust the bird you can simply wait until bed time and (wearing rubber gloves) gently pat a small handful of the powder around the vent area and under each wing.

The hatch cycle of the nasty bugs is 4-5 days, so remember to dust again in 5-7 days to catch the next cycle of mites.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by