Cnn DUCKS go without their outdoor TuBs??

Quote:
Thats why I like heated water buckets, no more frozen water.
smile.png

Quote:
smile.png

I don't have electricity in the winter duck coop, if I did, then I would have a heated water bucket. It would save me the trip every day to pail water down to them, but I don't.

Quote:
smile.png

I don't have electricity in the winter duck coop, if I did, then I would have a heated water bucket. It would save me the trip every day to pail water down to them, but I don't.

Thats a bummer, I use to have to carry water out during winter also so I feel for you.

I'm with you ChickieBooBoo - I'm also from Ontario - and no electricity for the ducks. I carry out two buckets of warm water every morning for them and another one every afternoon. Luckily, I have the ducks in an area where they face the south so they get a fair amount of sunshine (when we get it
smile.png
) Normally, the morning water is frozen except for the one hole that they've been drinking out of when I go to change it in the afternoon. I know by February I'll be wishing I didn't have them at all, but the feeling passes pretty quickly when I let them out and they quack like crazy getting to that warm water!
lol.png

With my ducks and chicken together I provide the standard 5 gallon waterer but also I keep a rubbermaid tub (the kind people put stuff under their bed with) and fill that with water, usually change it every other day. Because the poultry waterer doesn't provide the dunking duck-faces need. They not only clean their noses but they also use it to comb through their feathers. My ducks get dirty quick and look like gross little refugees if I don't provide them with water c_c Kind of like my chickens and dust baths.

I don't think its a crime if you don't make it a daily option for them as far as providing an actual pool... I mean, some coop set-ups just don't provide for that. And I've heard a lot of stories of ducks swimming until they are exhausted and dying, or chickens falling in and drowning :\\

As for freezing water I work and the birds are my responsibility so I have to make sure they have water before and after work, and before bed. I can't do much better than that so we'll see how the winter goes. Luckily for me my coop is all of 12 feet from the house. If I have to drop PVC pipe in the ground and run electricity out there I will, but I'm avoiding it.

Back
Top Bottom