Cnn DUCKS go without their outdoor TuBs??

figaro78

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 9, 2011
We have 4 chickens and 2 white ducks, all females. They have been raised all together since babies. We have them housed all togther in the chicken/duck coop and have had no problems at all. They get along just fine.
My question is... Does the ducks really need a tub of water to swim in daily, weekly, ect... During the summer, I put them in a dog kennel and let them swim in the water trough as a treat for them or to cool them off when we were having our 115 degree days... Ugh!
But being now that it is winter... not looking forward to all the mud, muck and mess they like to make. I know my parents always has chicks and ducks together and never gave them a water source to use, but wasnt for sure if there was anything else that I might need to know. Someone said that they could get bumblefeet??? But did not reply what that was exactly..
Any info on this would be very informative. Thank you!!
smile.png

Last edited:
They don't necessarily need a lot of water, just enough to drink. Once every 1-2 weeks I'll give them a bucket of water though to dunk their heads in, it keeps their bill and nostrils clean. During the winter especially I don't leave tubs of water out, I'd be left with an ice coop!

Sorry HollyBird24 but ducks NEED to have something deep enough to clean their nares in daily.

They do not NEED swimming water though they enjoy it. Ducks are not chickens and require a bit more speciality care than chickens. Nothing major but sorry if you are going to have animals make sure that you are providing for their needs. It is not difficult to empty and refill a bucket every day.

Figaro78, as long as the ducks and chickens are getting along, great. You may be able to lessen any mess by building a platform with a grate on top for the water. That way any splashes don't create muddy holes. My ducks and chickens share the water buckets. They have seperate runs and seperate water in each but typically only use one bucket that is in the yard during the day.

I use small tubs in the winter (outdoors) and empty them at night. That works great. I do provide drinking water they can get their messy heads in - outside and heated.

My opinion is that if you have ducks, and ducks are waterfowl, it is not fair not to have something for them to swim in, or at the very least splash around in to bathe. And they MUST have daily, clean water to be able to dip their whole head into to clean their nares and eyes out. Very important.
Ducks ARE messy with their water, but if we choose to keep them as pets, we must be responsible and deal with the mess they cause. So, try to do what you can to minimize it. Maybe in the winter, give them a large pan of water that they can get into for a little while and then when they are finished, dump it out. But, please, always, leave them with a clean, unfrozen bowl of drinking water.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well said.

I have to say that I agree 110% with this post.
thumbsup.gif

I change water out EVERY single day and I don't mind at all. I have had up to 150 muscovy ducks at one time and there was never a day that they didn't have fresh water to drink, something to dunk their heads in to clean their bills and a clean pool to swim and bath in. Sure, they mess it up within 10 minutes but fresh water was there. I couldn't imagine having ducks without having something for them to swin in or at least splash in like veronicasmom's has stated. That's just my opinion. Everyone will have a different opinion on this.

Quote:
Well said.

thumbsup.gif

I change water out EVERY single day and I don't mind at all. I have had up to 150 muscovy ducks at one time and there was never a day that they didn't have fresh water to drink, something to dunk their heads in to clean their bills and a clean pool to swim and bath in. Sure, they mess it up within 10 minutes but fresh water was there. I couldn't imagine having ducks without having something for them to swin in or at least splash in like veronicasmom's has stated. That's just my opinion. Everyone will have a different opinion on this.

I agree 100% with both the above. very good info ladies.

Quote:
Well said.

thumbsup.gif

I agree 100% with both the above. very good info ladies.

have to agree 110%....!

I don't give my ducks pails of water, it might not be a lot of work for you but during the winter here that bucker of water freezes solid in less then an hour. I guess they could stick their head in the snow though, theres plenty of that!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom