Coachella Valley, California

Now I'm in South Texas.

My chickens suffer from the summer heat here...we get into triple digits most of the summer...100-105 for the most part last summer, but it was dry (drought) and the nights cooled down.

I think it is so great you are getting in touch with other desert dwellers, because they will have know-how to beat the heat. In the time I have been on BYC, I think I have seen a couple members in that general area. What is the marine base on the other side of Joshua Tree? - and maybe even some to the south. -- IF you don't get instant replys --so many messages flood on to BYC that they get buried fast.
There is a where-am-I-where-are-you section..... you may be able to find some folks there. Mainly -- keep trying to locate neighbors...and don't get discouraged. :O)

Thanks for the words of encouragement ChicKat! I only have 3 chickens, so I guess if it ever gets too hot, I can keep them inside for a bit. Thanks for taking the time to respond ;)
Cheers!

kriquit--

Not last year, but the summer before, it got up to 115 here. I did just what you said...I put my chickens in pet carriers and took them into air conditioning. I have a chart posted about chickens and heat (heat stroke) I will come back and put in a link. Three is a good number...and it was exactly three that I had at that time.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/charts-and-quotes - good article there too...

2011- I put gallon milk jugs in the freezer and tried everything, fans etc. etc. etc. -- But 2012 summer, not quite as hot and used a water sprinkler.

Plan for ways your chickens can 'wade' in little kitty litter pans, maybe wet down the run -- make sure that they have good DEEP shade. and check with other chicken owners near you...... good luck....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom