Coal ash, safe?

Tmatthews

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 17, 2009
Cadiz
My husband has a wood burner and burns both wood and coal in it. Would it be safe to use the ashes for a dust bath? I know wood ash is safe but I'm not sure if it's OK if coal ash is mixed in. Thanks!

No, it isn't safe.

I am not sure just how unsafe it is..... like slightly toxic but it won't kill them, or????

The problem is that coal has lots of chemicals in it.

Of course, I say that, and maybe high grade coal is close enough to pure carbon?

The only coal I burn is beach coal....free and full of toxic stuff. I don't know how clean the stuff you buy is.

Hey Alaskan
I Am buying otc land Moose creek. I want to have the typical homesread animals. Im moving up after spring thaw what are some things I should be aware of. school me

if you have to buy feed, it is about double what you are used to.

Food in general is probably double what it is in TX.

You will also probably need to wear triple the clothes. Also, in TX you need cotton or the heat will kill you, up here cotton will kill you. You need wool, silk, or any synthetic.

You really need to think through how you are going to stay warm and eat and not go bankrupt.

Also, remember that in a PRIME spot, you will only have three months of summer. That means for the rest of the year all of the animals need to be fed.

So.......

You need to make lots of money, and/or figure out how to do everything for less money.

We use wood heat, if you have the muscle and the time, it is the best way to go. But, in a bad wood stove, you have to feed the fire every 4 hours.

In the summer time we are all manic, trying to get enough food put away and all the repairs and painting etc. done before it gets too cold.

All winter you shovel and work on the fire.
lol.png

I was in Juneau this time last year shoveling snow fpr 15.00 / hr its very mild there tho D are you in the city or sticks any
prpblems with predators? Ill probably go cord wood for the coops and sheds As for feed do you substitute for your BY friends too Its common to feed dogs chum salmonI was talking to Anchorage bout 10 Days ago and its been very mild this yr they saidIm researching wood gassification for energy. its pretty awesome I should be up apr or may

chickens eat everything....

I treat them like pigs (feed them everything and anything), but I also give them pellets and oyster shell.

Salmon skin is too tough for them, they will eat any meat left on the skin. Also, the fish heads, you have to chop them up, and they don't do a perfect job, but pretty good. They will eat all the squishy guts. They don't flip over carcasses, you have to go in there every day and turn stuff over so that they can get all sides. Also, remember that leaving stuff like that out does attract all the predators, so quality runs are a must.

I am far away from salmon streams, so I only have black bear, and they aren't too bad. I do think taking the time and money to line the coop with hardware cloth to keep out rodents and the stoats/weasels/etc. out is worth it. Even though the rodents are tiny and cute, they will eat a ton of food. Anything in the weasel family (and any dog) will kill every chicken you have in only one visit and in no time at all.

The geese I raised this summer were definitely worth the money, after the baby stage they eat mostly grass. At least 80% of their intake, if not 95%, was lawn grass.

But, in the winter I can't get them to eat much of anything except for pellets. So, for geese I would say buy goslings in the spring and eat them when winter shows up.

Back
Top Bottom