coal, can this be used as grit?

Mommysongbird

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 17, 2011
Small Town, Virginia
We have a LOT of coal in our yard, years of it being ground down of course, but some times we find whole pieces. Can we use this for grit, if not what happens if the chickens find a piece? I am going to be digging up the front yard this weekend (rain permitting) and thought I would put some of the dirt in a cup and bring it in for our 11 day old chicks.

Quote:
I have no idea....someone will. I had bought a bag of playsand last year and had not opened it. I did this week and make two flat bottom containers for the babies....they love it.

Our soil here is full of rocks and they are sandstone mostly. I have never had to haver grit for the chickens. But for the babies I wanted them to have some to dust bathe in and to peck at too.

I have never seen it written anywhere, but I don't think it would hurt them to eat a bit of it. Doctors use it in the emergency room to treat overdose. It absorbs toxins. However, I am pretty sure though that it won't be a good substitute for real grit which is usually insoluble crushed granite. I would use chick grit from the store for your babies just to be safe. Hope that helps!
smile.png

NO, do not use coal. Its nasty! It is not the same as stones. Its like eating gasoline or heating coal, sulfur base.....certainly NOT good for them. If they happened to pick one up from time to time, it won't hurt but they will figure it out whats good and whats bad.

Coal definitely is not a good idea. I doubt they would eat it anyways. Coal does absorb toxins but will also remove essential minerals and vitamins that after long exposure/ and could be detrimental. A 50# bag of grit is about$8 and lost a looong time!

Quote:
I have to agree with that. I have no knowledge of coal or its properties, but I believe that a piece or two might not hurt an adult or juvenile. Heck we had a chicken with a tummy upset. (Mild diarrhea and gagging? Looks like a yawn, but they gulp, figured it was crop upset.) Anyway she pecked small pieces of charcoal out of the fire pit and was better the next day. I know charcoal and coal aren't the same at all, I only meant they seem to know things, or can tell what is good or bad for them pretty easy.
But babies, they don't know anything yet. I wouldn't give it to them, but I would watch and see what they do when they get bigger finding it in the yard. be sure to post and let us know, Knowledge is always appreciated.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
There are two different types of coal.....wood coal or mineral coal.

The wood coal is harmless but the mining coal is harmful, you would not eat that stuff.

Quote:
Doctors use it in the emergency room to treat overdose. It absorbs toxins

That is not Coal!
What you are thinking of is Activated Charcoal (Activated Carbon) which is used in water filters, medicines that selectively remove toxins, and chemical purification processes.

Chris​

Last edited:
Quote:
I would have to agree with you. The stuff used in the ER has been inactivated and treated. Also, it isn't something a person would be exposed to often. Yep, get the kids some feed store grit!

Quote:
Doctors use it in the emergency room to treat overdose. It absorbs toxins

That is not Coal!
What you are thinking of is Activated Charcoal (Activated Carbon)

Chris​

You are correct, had a brain malfunction. Don't ever work in the ER, I put folks to sleep for surgery. Mea Culpa/My Bad.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom