Cob feed from Costco

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SparksNV, Aug 9, 2010.

1. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    Has anyone used the Cob feed from Costco? It says it is for horses, sheep but the gal that was giving away free samples said she gives it to her turkeys without any problems. It would be for scratch as it is only 16% protein and has molasses in it. It was about $11 for a 50# bag. I am very new to chickens, so I don't even know if that is a good price for scratch.

Thanks

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    $11 is not a good price for chicken scratch. Since scratch is not a "feed" I wouldn't buy it.

3. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    [​IMG] Howdy SparksNV! The scratch I bought is only 8% protein, so 16% is actually high for scratch! I think that typical layer feed is 16% protein. $11 doesn't sound like a high price for this area, though - it's right in the ballpark since virtually none of the ingredients are grown anywhere near here!

4. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    Hey NevadaRon!

Thanks for the replys - I gave them the sample and they sure seemed to like it - I was just alittle concerned about the molasses.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    They will do fine with it as a treat. How it compares with scratch depends on the makeup of the scratch. COB is Corn, Oats, Barley. The molassas makes it "Sweet Feed" or "4-way." As for pricing? COB shold be less expensive than a complete feed, but how much it costs will vary from one end of the country to another. THere are likely to be folks who think it a screaming deal and others who are horrified at the idea of a feed costing that much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by