Cobb 500 meat bird

Do you know how hatcheries do it ? If the CX is a hybrid that doesnt breed true does that mean that both "parent breeds" are somewhat distinct and kept by them as breeding stock only l, and only their subsequent offspring old as CX chicks ?
If you breed Cornish X brother to sister, you will get some clones. However, you need to feed them just once a day and control the amount they eat. This is esier sad than done.

I have a cornish x /Breese cross line that I developed for meat. It takes them 3 months to reach an average weight of 5.50lbs dressed and they live normal lives.

The Breese/Cornish x crossed rooster I kept for breeding hit 12lbs at 4 months old. I put him and his 2 sisters on a diet of 3/4 pint mason jar of feed once a day and once they lost some weight, I fed them the same amount twice a day. I don't like to see any left over feed because I don't want the birds to hang around. I have been collecting eggs daily from these two sisters, so they are decent layers and their off spring make good fryers at 3 month old. The blue legged ones turn out to be better layers and the yellow legged tend to get bigger. At first I was selective breeding for white legs, but my project got put on hold when my freezer filled up. I still need to breed my 12 lbs rooster back to his white legged daughters to lock it down.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom