1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cocci and Amprol Q's

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Leah and peeps, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Hi everybody,

So, i believe that my *now* flock of 9 (RIP Ivory [​IMG]) has come down with a case of cocci. 5 of my girls are laying and the other 4 are too young. But out of the five we are averaging at about 4 eggs a day, so i don't think that it has effected them yet.
    I purchased some amprol tonight and i am going to start them on it tom for 5 days.
    Q: We have some of the girls eggs in the fridge from the last few days, but are they still safe to eat, though they may have cocci when they laid them?

Q: Is there a period of time while/after they are on the amprol when you can't eat the eggs they produce? What is the withdrawal time?

Im sure i will come up with more questions, but thats all for now. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    The eggs that they've laid are fine and I don't think there's a withdrawl for Amprol--it's a vit. blocker not an antibiotic. I won't sell eggs from treated hens (mostly, 'cause it's hard to explaing to people about amprol) but have no problems using them at home.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/coccidiosis.html
    This
    website offers an answer for withdrawal time- but personally I wouldn't feel comfortable following it. I'm pretty cautious. It doesn't mention transmission to humans in the article.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps019
    avian diseases transmissible to humans

I really don't know the answers to your questions, but I had these links I thought you might like to see.

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Why do you think your layers have cocci? It's certainly possible, but uncommon for birds of laying age to come down with it. You see it much more in 6-12 week olds then in older birds that have had the chance to build up a tollerance to it.

5. Leah and peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Thanks for the replys. [​IMG]
    I don't think that my layers are the ones who have it, i think it just might be some of my younger girls,but i do want to treat the whole flock, just to be safe.
    As for withdrawal time, i am not going to eat the eggs while on the amprol and plan to wait a few more days after they have been off it just becuase it makes me feel better.

Kittymomma: Are you reccamending not to sell the eggs after they have been on the Amprol? Why would that be?

Thank you for the links! Very helpful! [​IMG] As far as i know cocci does not effect humans and the eggs they are laying can still be consumed ,and that Amprol does not have a withdrawl time.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  6. Leah and peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    I was just in the coop. No blood in the feces!! Im happy about that, maybe i was just over worrying and stressed that it must be cocci. Oh, well they were started on the Amprol today and i plan to keep them on it just in case.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If they are not lethargic... no need to treat. All birds will have it to some degree as it lives in the soil. It is a protozoa that is species specific, so even if you ate a spoon full of cocci oocysts, you won't get cocci of the chicken form.

8. Leah and peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    They do not seem legargic, and egg production is still great.. and like i said no blood today Does treating them do any harm, if they do not have cocci?

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Lethargic hens will always show before any blood, and if you have blood because of cocci, it will look like something died and sprayed blood on the floor.

That said, treating might cause some cocci to become more resistant to the amprol by selecting strains with better DNA repair machinery and so on, but really, why treat if there is no reason to? Why take cold medicine to stop symptoms you don't have?

10. Leah and peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    ya, i giess so, but i think just to be sure i think i will keep them on it for a few day (omg i am such a worrier! [​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by