Cocci and Corid question...help needed

NashChic

Songster
10 Years
May 14, 2009
Nashville, TN
I have 2 chicks about 9 weeks old. They are in a large brooder in my basement. All of the older chicks have moved outside to the chicken tractor, but these 2 are younger and they get picked on and run off the feed. So, I still keep them inside except for a few hours in the afternoon when I put them in the tractor with the others. My plan is a slow acclimation until everyone moves into the new big coop in about a week or so.

Anyway, I just noticed today that there is bloody stool in the brooder. They both seem to be acting fine. Not lethargic... seem to be eating. I'm working from the assumption that this is cocci. I've never dealt with cocci, but I've had Corid on hand since I hatch my first chicks 3 months ago. Unless someone advises otherwise, I want to treat for cocci and see if that clears the problem.

1) Should I treat the 2 in the brooder and the ones in the tractor also? They've been in contact, but they're older and I haven't seen any signs.

2) As far as the Corid... is it 1-2 Tablespoons per gallon for 5 days?

3) Then feed a probiotic mash with starter, milk, yogurt, and vitamin E?

4) How long do you feed the mash until the gut flora is built back up?

If anyone can verify these amounts/times I would really appreciate it.

Also, if anyone has any other thoughts on the cause of the bloody stool, I would like to hear that too.

Thank you! Thank you!

On the dosing for Corid, one TEAspoon or two TEAspoons, not tablespoons per gallon. The recommendation is about one teaspoon (4cc), but many use as much as two teaspoons, which is about 9-10 cc.

It won't hurt anything to treat everyone, just to help them out. If the little ones are exposed, they were probably exposed in the tractor with the older ones. The older ones may be holding their own a little better with the resistance, but it won't hurt to do a round of Corid to help ensure no one is taken off guard.

On your other questions, i've read a multitude of methods on this site, and i'm going to leave the answers to others. I have never used the mash, though if i did, i think i would be inclined to use it at first site of blood, to sooth the intestinal lesions and help them close.

After you finish the Corid dosing, it's a good idea to add vitamins to the water to help them build up their systems - but don't put vitamins and Corid in the water as that will defeat the the way the Corid works.

On the bloody stool, sometimes they will shed some intestinal lining, and it will look a little bloody, but it isn't because of cocci. It's just natural shedding. If you are seeing any volume - like actual drops with their poop- of blood, i wouldn't doubt that it was cocci, specifically since you've been having them outside in the tractor. It just makes sense.

Thank you so much for clarifying the dose. I kept thinking that seemed like too much, but the thread I was reading said that. That's one of the main reasons I wanted to post and ask the question.

I just took them some scrambled egg and yogurt and they are gobbling it up like crazy. I didn't see anymore blood at the moment. So I might wait until this evening to start the Corid. I know the treatment is hard on them. I feel like it's a fine line with starting the meds as early as possible and medicating them unnecessarily by jumping to conclusions. It's tough being a chicken mama.

Thanks again for the advice, PunkinPeep. I've seen you around here alot and I remember crying for you when you lost one of your little BO girls.

If anyone has used the probiotic mash after Corid treatment, I'd like to know how long you did it...

AW Thanks!
hugs.gif

I read this a year later and it has been a life safer.

thanks to everyone for posting this.

I gave my girls a gallon of the above concoction and they all went over and started drinking it, as if it tasted good to them. I did not expect that.

cheers

D.gif

Last edited:
I know this is old but when I broke down the dosage on the package it came out to 1.62 or something tablespoons per 1 gallon of water. I sure hope I haven;t been over dosing my chicks...

Quote:
That does sound like too much, but it might depend on what form of Corid you're using. The previous recommendations are for liquid amprolium 9.6%.

Is that what you have? I've never seen a dosage chart for chickens actually on the package. It's usually labeled for cattle or pigs, so you may have a different form.

skypatrol, so happy to hear your good results!

Quote:
If we're using 8 ounces per one cup, then my math (which is sometimes questionnable) would indicate roughly 1/2 tsp per one gallon of water. And since it's 20%, that would correspond with the 1 tsp suggested doses for the 9.6% liquid amprolium.

I wouldn't panic too much about the overdose, but if you agree with my numbers, go ahead and back it off.

I am assuming in my calculations, that the company is not asking you to weigh the product, but to use the volume measurement.

Back
Top Bottom