Cocci and my hens?

Julie Sanchez

Hatching
Oct 25, 2017
Hello
I posted last week and can't find the post now but I had a Orpington Hen die a week ago from what I think may be Cocci.
Her symptoms were water diarrhea.
Standing still a lot.
Losing feathers.
Eyes closing during day time.
Eventually loss of appetite
Comb- purple droopy.
Drinking abnormal amount of water.

I bought Corid and treated the other birds.
My Americana hen is now showing signs. I am treating her as well. She was feeling much better and started eating again.
After 3 days treatment in waterers I changed back to clear water. Next day she started looking weak again. So back on Corid. I don't know what to do. My hens are about 3 years old. I have 4 now. One is sick. Any advice? Julie

Hi Julie,

Sorry for your troubles!

I treat my birds for 5-7 days and then offer a lower dosage for the next 2 weeks.

I would recommend you giving them a drench if you have birds dying. Mix 1 tsp Corid with 2 tsp water and administer (slowly) orally with a syringe.

This link may help
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing.818879/

Are you certain it's cocci that you're dealing with? I deal with cocci regularly but I don't see it in my mature hens (unless there's something else going on with them). It's my biddies and young birds that are usually only affected. Which is why I'm asking.

Have you made any changes to your flock or to their environment?

Corid as stated is normally given for 5-7 days. When a death has occurred I would use the 7 day treatment, and if signs are still present, do a lesser dose for another 5 days. Keep bedding fresh, clean, stirred, and dry. Change waterers daily, keeping them up at shoulder height to keep droppings out of them. Chickens should be drinking enough of the medicated water to get a proper dosage. You may want to get some droppings checked for coccidia or worms. In hens that age, I would look at other problems such as reproductive problems, a hard molt, cancer, or other problems.

Back
Top Bottom