cocci - corid versus sulmet

carey2714

Hatching
Jun 27, 2016
Help!

I've got 10 chickens - one has coccidiosis and all were treated with sulmet for the prescribed days. Today was the first day of no treatment and there is cocci positive bloody stool. Not sure who's it is. I've read that Corid treats 9 versions of cocci while sulmet only treats 2. My vet doesn't know which kind of cocci we have. . . shall I just treat with Corid right now?
Do I need a more sophisticated fecal test that reveals the actual type of parasite ?
If it's a small bloody stool are we ok for the moment? Hens seem to be doing okay . . .???

Welcome to BYC. You may see blood in stools for a few days due to the damage in intestines. Sulmet is supposed to treat the 2 worst strains that cause the bloody stools, although others may cause it. Corid treats all strains affecting chickens, but some strains are mild, although a couple can become chronic, causing failure to gain weight. I would watch how the hens are acting, if they are drinking and starting to eat better. Give them poultry vitamins and electrolytes, plus a little plain yogurt for probiotics for several days to get the intestinal flora back to normal. Then, if you are still seeing blood, or at any time if any look lethargic or sick, start Corid.

Last edited:
thanks so much. I wouldn't be concerned except we tested the new bloody sample and it still has lots of cocci in it - so that's why I fear it's not gone. . .and the local vet here doesn't even stock liquid sulmet or corid - he only uses pills. Given them electrolytes and yogurt. On the way to get poultry vitamins . . . there are 2 girls that have messy poop outside the anal canal - are these the ones that have been affected most likely, and do I need to clean them? And if so, how?

I have not used sulmet, but have successfully used Corid twice. I was under the impression that you are not supposed to provide vitamins until at least two weeks after treatment. The Corid doesn't actually kill the cocci it just slows it's growth by depriving it of thiamine ( a B vitamin) so the chicks can build immunity.

Since you have already treated I might wait to see if it is working but if the bloody stool continues or if anybody looks puffed up or lethargic I would start treatment right away.

I am surprised your vet "doesn't know what strain". I would not pay for another test. They should have detected anything in the first sample, not just cocci, but any other parasites or worms. At my vet a fecal exam is just that, they look for ANYTHING abnormal for 1 cost ($25 for me).

Good luck!

I too, have had success with corid but have not tried sulmet yet. I agree with the two previous replies. All good advice.

thanks so much. I wouldn't be concerned except we tested the new bloody sample and it still has lots of cocci in it - so that's why I fear it's not gone. . .and the local vet here doesn't even stock liquid sulmet or corid - he only uses pills. Given them electrolytes and yogurt. On the way to get poultry vitamins . . . there are 2 girls that have messy poop outside the anal canal - are these the ones that have been affected most likely, and do I need to clean them? And if so, how?
Can you get Corid at the feed store?

-Kathy

X 2. Feedstores usually carry Corid in powder or liquid. Casportpony has a good thread about "updated Corid dosing" in her signature.

Make sure you treat everybody regardless of who you think is infected, they have all been exposed.

And did you see the part of my previous post that says Corid worked by depriving the cocci of its' vitamins, so you shouldn't be giving them while treating.

Cleaning them up is better I think.

I got my Corid at the feed store.

Seeing how long ago this thread was started, not sure if you still needed any help. Everybody recover well? Hopefully.

Glad I found a thread on this topic. Apologize in advance for reposting my questions as I need help too and no one has responded.
I have 11 chicks aged 7 to 17 weeks- first time chicken owner. Pretty sure it's coccidiosis as 4 weeks ago 1 chick died, saw bloody poop, then next chick VERY lethargic same as the one that died. Nursed her back with low Corid mixed at rate of 2 tsp/gallon in eye dropper every 4 hours. Happy I saved her as I thought I was going to lose her. Immediately started treating all other chicks in their drinking water. Within a day or so blood no longer noticeable in poop so continued with dosing at same rate. By 6th or so day bloody poop reappeared. Continued same treatment and blood once again not noticeable until again 5th or 6th day slight blood started reappearing. Behavior normal except for a couple of poops being slightly mucous-y and slightly bloody. Most poop normal. Same pattern going on for 4 weeks. I never stopped the Corid. As soon as I thought things could go to maintenance mode I saw a couple more bloody poop (but not severe). What is going on? Does this mean another chick gets the disease each cycle? Or is it not coccidiosis? Or is it resistant already?How long can I treat my flock before its done or the parasites get resistant? Getting frustrated and worried. Contacted multiple vets-the one that treats chickens wants me to bring in the sick chicken but I don't know which one so he told me to isolate them to identify. Is he kidding? He wIll not test the poop. Then I called state univ testing lab who will not test my sample without a vet. They said its nationwide policy. It's no wonder everyone self medicates who owns chickens! So now I am thinking about trying Sulmet as my next step but I really don't want to over medicate. All advice is welcomed- thanks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom