Cocci, is it inevitable?

fermented feed is a lot of work. I have heard about it also but have never tired it myself. So only know what I have read from those that do. Everyone has an opinion, but what it all boils down to is, biosecurity, and being prepared ahead of time, incase you need to treat a sick or injured birds.

I read about sooo many people that go out and buy new chicks or chickens and just put them in their flocks, then wonder why their birds are sick, then you have those that are oh so careful and that ONE time, they bought a chick at the TSC or feed store and BOOM, they have sick birds.

It is all a part of having animals, wether they are for pets or livestock. Nothing is for sure, no matter how hard you try. I know people who have never had birds sick from cocci and some that have, both were oh so careful, did the right thing, but things happen, and birds, animals get sick.

Best to do your research, decide what is right for you and your flock and be prepared. That's really all you can do, plus hope and pray for the best
wink.png

fermented feed is a lot of work. I have heard about it also but have never tired it myself. So only know what I have read from those that do. Everyone has an opinion, but what it all boils down to is, biosecurity, and being prepared ahead of time, incase you need to treat a sick or injured birds. I read about sooo many people that go out and buy new chicks or chickens and just put them in their flocks, then wonder why their birds are sick, then you have those that are oh so careful and that ONE time, they bought a chick at the TSC or feed store and BOOM, they have sick birds. It is all a part of having animals, wether they are for pets or livestock. Nothing is for sure, no matter how hard you try. I know people who have never had birds sick from cocci and some that have, both were oh so careful, did the right thing, but things happen, and birds, animals get sick. Best to do your research, decide what is right for you and your flock and be prepared. That's really all you can do, plus hope and pray for the best
wink.png
I agree 100% with everything you said except that feeding fermented feed is hard. I do it and it's really pretty easy. Just take some feed, water and something to start it (I use buttermilk), stir it all up and in a couple days it's ready. You just add feed and water back as you use it. I keep mine kind of thick like a dough instead of soupy, so no straining needed. The birds love it! My 5 gallon bucket is just sitting in the garage. You just have to be sure not to use it all up without adding more feed and water back to it. Some people only use feed and water, no starter. Others use vinegar as a starter. I have used buttermilk, yogurt, chick probiotics, etc. It's really not hard at all. But just as you said, each person is to raise their birds how they see fit. :) Best of luck to you all.

I use ACV,and have not found it to be the miracle worker that it is claimed to be. Chickens still get Coccidiosis,worms,and many other illnesses. ACV is good,but do not be fooled into thinking that it is a cure all. I have studied Coccidiosis intensively,and they only way to prevent deaths,is to be knowledgeable about the signs and symptoms of Cocci and medicate immediately.

Yes, that is why I said "HELPS". :)

I agree 100% with everything you said except that feeding fermented feed is hard. I do it and it's really pretty easy. Just take some feed, water and something to start it (I use buttermilk), stir it all up and in a couple days it's ready. You just add feed and water back as you use it. I keep mine kind of thick like a dough instead of soupy, so no straining needed. The birds love it! My 5 gallon bucket is just sitting in the garage. You just have to be sure not to use it all up without adding more feed and water back to it. Some people only use feed and water, no starter. Others use vinegar as a starter. I have used buttermilk, yogurt, chick probiotics, etc. It's really not hard at all. But just as you said, each person is to raise their birds how they see fit.
smile.png
Best of luck to you all.

Oh my gosh, you had my head spinning dear...maybe it seems easy to you, but I am really confused by it all...LOL I'm not saying it's bad or good, just to me, it's hard...the older I get, the harder it is to remember
wink.png
I'd have to get a notebook, just to keep track of what I did, when I did it, ect
old.gif
gig.gif
I'd probably end up forgetting I had it to begin with and just grab some out of the feed bin.

I already have yellow sticky notes to remind me of just about everything all over the cabin
gig.gif

Oh my gosh, you had my head spinning dear...maybe it seems easy to you, but I am really confused by it all...LOL I'm not saying it's bad or good, just to me, it's hard...the older I get, the harder it is to remember
wink.png
I'd have to get a notebook, just to keep track of what I did, when I did it, ect
old.gif
gig.gif
I'd probably end up forgetting I had it to begin with and just grab some out of the feed bin. I already have yellow sticky notes to remind me of just about everything all over the cabin
gig.gif
I doubt you are any more scatter brained than I am! LOL It's easy - feed+water+buttermilk+stir. But I warn you, chickens LOVE IT! It's like chicken crack. LOL

I doubt you are any more scatter brained than I am! LOL It's easy - feed+water+buttermilk+stir. But I warn you, chickens LOVE IT! It's like chicken crack. LOL
Thanks you had me rolling on the chicken crack
gig.gif
I really do have a memory issue, getting older and a car accident. Just bought 5 note books for the chickens, this year and next years ones...I am reading so much and so much has changed since I used to raise them, it's so different. Thus, the notebooks for easy reference and so I can remember what is when, am already questioning myself on if I lost a week on their age???? Seriously...
th.gif
Thanks so much for the wonderful explination on the chicken crack, but think I will stick to just pouring it in for now. Maybe as I get back into it, I might think about it. Have had a Murphies law week, so even worse on the remembering right now!!!

I gotta go check the chicks then head to bed. I am usually an early to bed person, but my chicks have cocci, started treatment yesterday, so still checking them every few hours, but I think we are over the, they might die stage, and maybe tomorrow I will see a good change in them!!! So nite and was GREAT talking with you, would love to do it again!!!
Best to you and your flock too!!!

I gotta go check the chicks then head to bed. I am usually an early to bed person, but my chicks have cocci, started treatment yesterday, so still checking them every few hours, but I think we are over the, they might die stage, and maybe tomorrow I will see a good change in them!!! So nite and was GREAT talking with you, would love to do it again!!!
Best to you and your flock too!!!

Good luck to you. I hope your flock pulls through stronger and healthier than ever. Take care. :)

Thanks you had me rolling on the chicken crack
gig.gif
I really do have a memory issue, getting older and a car accident. Just bought 5 note books for the chickens, this year and next years ones...I am reading so much and so much has changed since I used to raise them, it's so different. Thus, the notebooks for easy reference and so I can remember what is when, am already questioning myself on if I lost a week on their age???? Seriously...
th.gif
Thanks so much for the wonderful explination on the chicken crack, but think I will stick to just pouring it in for now. Maybe as I get back into it, I might think about it. Have had a Murphies law week, so even worse on the remembering right now!!!
I know exactly what you mean. I haven't owned chickens since I was a kid, just got back into them this year. I have learned a lot from this website and I'm sure I will learn more. That notebook idea sounds like something I need to do! You take care and enjoy your shickens. ...keep in mind that chicken crack is easy to make. LOL

Back
Top Bottom