Cocci or Mareks? Chickens not standing

Alaska chicks

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 12, 2014
I have two sick , sweet 10 month old Easter Eggers. One isn't standing or eating. The other is struggling to walk, seems one leg/joint is giving out on her. I am new to chicken raising, and hate to see these girls struggle. Could this be Cocci or Marek's? Any recommendations for treatment? I've some loose, very stinky poop. I have isolated the girl not walking and syringed some electrolyte rooster booster water down to keep her hydrated. Thanks for any suggestions. I hope they are able to recover.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
diagnosis charts at bottom

I hope this may help you...but I don't know what to suggest as a diagnosis.

The foul- smelling poo is a concern.

If they were my chickens I would run antibiotics through them but I don't know which antibiotics to suggest either- that is one problem with antibiotics with no diagnosis. Could just create antibiotic-resistant bacteria that way. I am so sorry I don't know how to help.

You can take a poo sample to a vet (call ahead first)- maybe they can test for staph / necrotic enteritis, and I know they can test for cocci/worms (false negatives are possible for the fecal float worm test).

Thank you. I am calling around to find a vet in the area with chicken experience. I'll also see if there are antibiotics available at our feed store. I appreciate the suggestions.

Di-Methox or sulfadimethoxine is a sulfa drug with antibiotic and anti-coccidiosis properties. It is useful when you aren't positive which you are dealing with. If a vet is available, that is always the best, but since it is a weekend, the meds would be good. Mareks causes leg and wing paralysis, and can be on one side. MS or mycoplasma synoviae can also affect the joints, and there could be swelling of the foot or hock.

Last edited:
Di-Methox or sulfadimethoxine is a sulfa drug with antibiotic and anti-coccidiosis properties. It is useful when you aren't positive which you are dealing with. If a vet is available, that is always the best, but since it is a weekend, the meds would be good. Mareks causes leg and wing paralysis, and can be on one side. MS or mycoplasma synoviae can also affect the joints, and there could be swelling of the foot or hock.
I second that. I would start with the sulfa drugs.

You are correct-I was unable to find an avian vet this weekend. I will give them both antibiotics. I appreciate the suggestion.

Also, as an update- My girl with the one leg limp is still energetic. The other is not eating much and still not able to walk. But she is bright eyed. My other hens seem unaffected. After web searches, I suspect it is Marek's. Crossing my fingers we are on the road to recovery.

Also, as an update- My girl with the one leg limp is still energetic. The other is not eating much and still not able to walk. But she is bright eyed. My other hens seem unaffected. After web searches, I suspect it is Marek's. Crossing my fingers we are on the road to recovery.
It wouldn't hurt to run some Corid through them too after you finish the antibiotics. Coccidiosis can strike an immunocompromised hen. Just my opinion!

(They are going to need some serious boosting here too- scrambled eggs to eat, vitamins in the water after the Corid (not during), etc. in my opinion. Buttermilk is said to be good as well- and helps a bit in coccidiosis I have read on BYC but not tried myself.)

Last edited:
I hadn't thought of Corid. Good idea. I have been loading them up as much as I can with high protein, quality snacks - and electrolytes. My sickest hen won't eat or drink much. I'm trying to make it as high quality as I can. Thanks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom