cocci passed to her chicks through the egg?

snorie797

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 2, 2012
A few weeks ago I finallt figured out what was killing my flock slowly and its cocci. So I ordered corid and they seem to be doing well. My question is since they were all exposed then treated they are all now carriers, do they pass it on through their eggs? Say I took some of my silkies eggs and hatched them, or even had her hatch them herself would they get cocci as well? Just through the egg? Or would it have to be through contact with the bird/area where cocci is present? My plan all along was to hatch chicks and sell them. But I wouldn't want to do that if cocci was passed through the egg.

Thanks in advance. :)

I have searched and searched and can't find anything saying that a hen will pass on the cocci to her chicks through the egg. Although I would make sure you give the Corid to the chicks when you hatch them. I think I read somewhere that the virus used in the vaccine can't be spread anyway... not sure where or if I even actually did hear that.
idunno.gif
I think they should be ok
smile.png
Where are you located anyway? I really want a silkie show hen
droolin.gif

A few weeks ago I finallt figured out what was killing my flock slowly and its cocci. So I ordered corid and they seem to be doing well. My question is since they were all exposed then treated they are all now carriers, do they pass it on through their eggs? Say I took some of my silkies eggs and hatched them, or even had her hatch them herself would they get cocci as well? Just through the egg? Or would it have to be through contact with the bird/area where cocci is present? My plan all along was to hatch chicks and sell them. But I wouldn't want to do that if cocci was passed through the egg.

Thanks in advance.
smile.png
Coccidiosis is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract,sometimes they just have an overload of it and need medication to help. Common for chicks to have it, cocci thrives in damp/warm conditions,that is why chicks in brooders are susceptible to it. Coccidiosis is spread through droppings,which get into feed/water via droppings,that is why you treat all chicks. Chicks ARE NOT carriers,so do not worry,they have nothing wrong with them. Most birds have some coccidiosis in their intestines,only a problem if they have too much,then medication brings it under control. There are 9 species of Cocci,so it is possible for them in the future to have it again. Nothing will be passed to eggs,so everything is fine. Your chicks are perfectly healthy.

Last edited:
Thank goodness! All I could think about is oh great now I have a bunch of chickens with an illness and wont be able to sell my chicks or grown chickens. Another question if you dont mind. Im assuming its a no but will ask anyway. I'm assuming that since my chickens have all been exposed to it and now treated I cant sell my chi kens without saying they have cocci and have been treTed? Since they are all now carriers and could pass it on to other chickens. And im in northwest ohio. Had cocci when my chicks were young but I didnt know it and lost about 10 silkies and 20 mixed bantams. :( they are all now grown up about 8 months old id say. :)

Thank goodness! All I could think about is oh great now I have a bunch of chickens with an illness and wont be able to sell my chicks or grown chickens. Another question if you dont mind. Im assuming its a no but will ask anyway. I'm assuming that since my chickens have all been exposed to it and now treated I cant sell my chi kens without saying they have cocci and have been treTed? Since they are all now carriers and could pass it on to other chickens. And im in northwest ohio. Had cocci when my chicks were young but I didnt know it and lost about 10 silkies and 20 mixed bantams.
sad.png
they are all now grown up about 8 months old id say.
smile.png
No, you do not have to say anything,Coccidiosis is say similar to having worms(i say worms so you will understand that it is not a problem),but technically not a worm as it is a protozoan parasite. They are not carriers,and will not pass it to anyone. Almost all birds have some cocci in their intestines,never a problem. Only becomes a problem if they have too much,then we medicate to bring it under control. Almost all chicken keepers,have had Coccidiosis at some time or another. Do not worry chicks are fine.

Last edited:
But what about my chickens I just treated? Could I sell them? Would I have to tell the buyers they had been treated? Or is it normal for them to be treated then okay to be sold?

But what about my chickens I just treated? Could I sell them? Would I have to tell the buyers they had been treated? Or is it normal for them to be treated then okay to be sold?
Yes,once chicks are treated,and are no longer ill,you can sell them. It is up to you if you want to tell buyers. They are not carriers of anything,and whomever buys them,may have an outbreak themselves. Absolutely normal for chicks to have Coccidiosis. Almost all chicken keepers have Corid(amprolium) in their chicken first aid kit,just in case it gets out of hand. If you were to ask anyone that has chickens about cocci,most of them would tell you their chicks/older chickens have had it at some point. Coccidiosis is the leading cause of death among chicks. Everyone that has chickens,should have Amprolium on hand.

Last edited:
:) thats wonderful news! :) I had another question. Is it possible yo have cocci, gapeworms or however its spelled, and a congestion problem (lots of sneezing, weezing, liquid diarea, and bubbles in eyes) all at the same time. My chickens have several problems all at the same time. One even had a prolapsed vent or whatever the fancy term for that is.

Back
Top Bottom