Cocci - Please Help With Dosage!

Medicated feed contains a very low preventative dose of amprolium. It does not always prevent an outbreak. For an actual outbreak you have to treat. The intent of the feed is to allow them to be exposed to coccidia but keep the numbers low enough that they don't actually get sick. The treatment with the powder or liquid is a much higher dose intended to kill off as many of them as possible in order to save the birds life since too many coccidia can do massive damage to the digestive tract and be fatal. When the numbers get too high, the amount in the feed is ineffective. I wouldn't use both, but I doubt it would hurt the chicks if it happened, it would be hard to overdose on amprolium.
There are loads of articles touting the pluses and minus's of either medicated or non medicated.
https://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2019/02/do-i-need-to-feed-medicated-chick-feed.html
https://www.purelypoultry.com/blog/coccidiosis/

Once they are through their treatment, do you recommend giving them some sort of supplement, or vitamin supplement?

Treating with Corid does not cancel any immunity. Being exposed to the coccidia and surviving is what builds immunity. The only thing Corid will cancel is the immunization if they were immunized with the coccidia vaccine. I usually do follow up with a vitamin supplement once treatment is complete and everyone is looking good, just to make sure that thiamine levels are normal. You can use any poultry supplement that contains thiamine, there are several that are usually at feed stores or Tractor Supply.

Treating with Corid does not cancel any immunity. Being exposed to the coccidia and surviving is what builds immunity. The only thing Corid will cancel is the immunization if they were immunized with the coccidia vaccine. I usually do follow up with a vitamin supplement once treatment is complete and everyone is looking good, just to make sure that thiamine levels are normal. You can use any poultry supplement that contains thiamine, there are several that are usually at feed stores or Tractor Supply.
Thank you!:love

Back
Top Bottom