Cocci treatment, new idea, what do you think?

SourRoses

Free Ranging
13 Years
Feb 2, 2011
Florida
Hi all :) We were at a swap yesterday and got some beautiful new chicks. One of them is older than the others, almost 3 weeks (everybody is getting along well in X-large brooder)... and the older chick has signs of cocci, bloody poo, although she is eating well. Today is Sunday so our feed stores are not open, first thing tomorrow morning we will get Corrid to treat everyone.

I was searching back through the threads to learn all that I can, and I read that some feed baby parrot formula or powdered milk to create a barrier in the stomach and help the stomach lining heal.
This is something I had an idea about, but I dont want to try it without checking here first.
I have a Horse with Ulcers, so I have read quite a lot about that subject, and the principal is similar, to create a barrier so the stomach lining can heal.
He is on a special, medication-free, natural supplement that has helped him tremendously. I am wondering if I can use a tiny amount of this supplement with the chicks instead of the formula? I am thinking that this supplement would do a much better job of protecting the stomach while it heals and helping the healing process, but I need to know if the ingredients are safe for poultry.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The ingredients are -

Herbs: (These are used for their mucogenous properties)
Marshmallow Root
Slippery Elm
Deglycyrrized Licorice

Probiotic & Prebiotic
Lactobacillus Acidophilus
Mannanoligosaccharides

Silica
Hydrolyzed Collagen
Glycine
L-Glutamine
Gamma Oryzanol
Calcium Carbonate
Magnesium Carbonate
Magnesium Silicate

Inactive Ingredients:
Alfalfa Meal, Corn Distillers dried grains with solubles,
Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation extract, Dried
Bacillus Subtillis Fermentation extract, Fenugreek seed,
Grape Pomace (Ground grape seed and skin), Lignin
Sulfonate, Sodium Copper Chlorophyll, Propionic acid,
Vedgetable Oil (cold pressed).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This supplement is made in small pellets, the dose for a horse is 60 G of pellets .... I was thinking to break off a small bit of one pellet and put it in a tiny bit of water in a dish... it would expand in the water.

So what do you think?

Before thinking I am too weird, LOL, remember that Corrid, ect, were made for cows! :p

I'm not sure I'd want to give them anything to coat the stomach, not until they are done with the course of Corid. The cocci protozoa attack the intestinal walls, so I don't know that you'd want to coat and potentially block the Corid from reaching it? I don't know, that may not even be an issue but it makes sense to me. Once they are done with the Corid treatment then I see no reason not to try the supplement you mentioned, or just a probiotic.

hi there, honestly i think the very best treatment for cocci is Corid. there are 9 different strains of cocci and corid is the ONLY medicine that kills all 9 strains of it. after treatment i DO recommend a treatment of probiotics to replenish the good bacteria they might have lost during treatment. but if it were my own chicks i would treat with corid, ive seen the amazing recovery it can produce and believe in it strongly..Not exactly sure I believe in the milk or coating of the stomach treatment although others have had success with it. but im being honnest here, if they were my chicks id treat with CORID, then id give a probiotic. If you are Against that, the list of ingred.in your supplement do sound safe, as for healing cocci.,,, well, you can try it... but id use corid....I wish you the very best of luck and this is just my opnion based on using corid myself and healings of others that have also used corid. as a matter of fact another member was asking for help recently on this web site i recommended corid for her cocci and her baby chick made a FULL and COMPLETE recovery, its growing healthy and happily now..Its your choice however, how you want to treat. I do hope the best and do not think that suppliment will do harm.. Good luck to you!! This is just what id do if they were my own...God bless.. as above post said you can try until you can get the corid. i wish you the very best!!

Last edited:
Oh, I am talking about using the supplement in conjunction WITH the Corrid. I wouldn't think the supplement would help on it's own.
I just want to support their little tummies healing quickly as possible and to the best health.
Thank you, God Bless you too! :D <3 <3

Do the ingredients sound safe for poultry? Anyone? I plan on trying this with them tomorrow, once we have started the Corrid treatment in their water.

One of our chicks passed away last night :( :(

We got the Corrid this morning as planned, and it's in the water. They have all been drinking well and they are running around playing chick games right now.
I'm still curious if the ingredients in the gut supplement sound safe to use to help their tummies heal. I don't want to give them any before I know if it sounds safe.

hi there, honestly i think the very best treatment for cocci is Corid. there are 9 different strains of cocci and corid is the ONLY medicine that kills all 9 strains of it. after treatment i DO recommend a treatment of probiotics to replenish the good bacteria they might have lost during treatment. but if it were my own chicks i would treat with corid, ive seen the amazing recovery it can produce and believe in it strongly..Not exactly sure I believe in the milk or coating of the stomach treatment although others have had success with it. but im being honnest here, if they were my chicks id treat with CORID, then id give a probiotic. If you are Against that, the list of ingred.in your supplement do sound safe, as for healing cocci.,,, well, you can try it... but id use corid....I wish you the very best of luck and this is just my opnion based on using corid myself and healings of others that have also used corid. as a matter of fact another member was asking for help recently on this web site i recommended corid for her cocci and her baby chick made a FULL and COMPLETE recovery, its growing healthy and happily now..Its your choice however, how you want to treat. I do hope the best and do not think that suppliment will do harm.. Good luck to you!! This is just what id do if they were my own...God bless.. as above post said you can try until you can get the corid. i wish you the very best!!
You're right there are nine that affect chickens, seven in turkeys and others that affect other birds and Corid (amprolium) seems to be the best choice.

Please know the chicks ARE being medicated with CORRID to treat the parasite problem.

Cafarmgirl, you bring up a VERY good question and its one I asked myself in regard to my horse. I checked with equine supplement experts when I had this question about my horse being on medication, and they double checked with the staff verterinarian, then got back to me that it will not affect medications. The way the mucogenous properties in the supplement work, it turns into a gel in the stomach that lines the stomach and allows nutrients and other substances to still be absorbed.

I am wishing I hadn't titled my post the way I did now... I want to reassure everyone that we ARE medicating with Corrid as of this morning when we got some, as I said in above posts.

I would NOT think that this gut supplement would somehow affect parasites, my reason for giving the supplement is to help the stomach itself heal, since the parasites damage the stomach itself, thus the reason for the bloody poop.
This equine supplement was made by veternarians to fill that purpose, to help lesions in the stomach heal themselves, and the only difference here is what has caused the lesions and the species involved. A recent study at a top university showed that this supplement signifigantly decreased the number and severity of gastric lessions.
I know it works well for equines, my horse is the happy comfortable proof, I just wanted to know if the same principals in horse health would carry over to poultry.
I myself am convinced that it will help, so after some debate and looking at the ingredients over and over, I finally just gave them some this afternoon.
The small pellet disolved easily in water and made a loose gel... I put it in a tiny dish and they have pecked at it and eaten some. Everybody is still running around eating and drinking and playing.

We will continue to treat the chicks with Corrid for the full recommended treatment period. One thing I AM hoping is that a better healed stomach will keep the chicks from coming down with the secondary outbreak I have heard about.

Back
Top Bottom