Cocci

Have a lethargic chick.no bloody poo..Have looked every place for Corid or any antibiotic for them. Not one farm store has any near me.I'll drive a half hour away tomorrow but tonite am using all I have on hand tetracycaline.
Know it's good for bladder or lungs. Not sure for gut though..
What is corid exactly?. Anyone know off hand?I'm assuming Corid is the name brand.
Corid is the brand name for amprollium which comes in liquid or powder. Another brand some stores have is Ampromed. Sometimes you have to explain that it would be the cattle medicines--not in the chicken aisle. Two other medications that can be used are Sulfadimethoxine and Sulmet, but follow directions for each, since they are sulfa antibiotics. They will treat the 2 worst strains of cocci, which normally caue bloody poop. In The Merck Manual, they list oxytetracycline as a treatment for coccidiosis, but most people use Corid or Sulfa. Tetracycline and oxytetracycline are fairly close in the tetracycline family. Here is the link about oxytetracycline (scale down to the second box:) http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/coccidiosis/overview_of_coccidiosis_in_poultry.html

Thanks so much for the info.last question..they say put meds in wAter..do you just let them drink it all day in their waterer or a syringe..how?

Thanks so much for the info.last question..they say put meds in wAter..do you just let them drink it all day in their waterer or a syringe..how?
Corid is put in the water. Make fresh daily and it should be the only source of drinking water (no puddles, ponds, creeks, etc).

Corid Powder - 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days, then 1/3 teaspoon per gallon for 7 days.
Corid Liquid - 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days, then 1/2 teaspoon per gallon for 7 days.

-Kathy

Ok I got corid..I see you say liquid 2 teas per gallon. Is it just in their drinking water or do you give it with a syringe so many ml to each chick..thanks for all the help..

Last edited:
Ok I got corid..I see you say liquid 2 teas per gallon. Is it just in their drinking water or do you give it with a syringe so many ml to each chick..thanks for all the help..
You got the 9.6% liquid? If so, it's two teaspoons per gallon, but if you have some that aren't drinking you can give those chicks one or two small drops of undiluted Corid once a day for two days. That's in addition to their drinking water. Corid is very safe and and almost impossible to OD them on. Make sense?

Those that are sickest should be kept in a warm room or they should have access to a heat-lamp.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom