Cocci

stilwellchick

Songster
12 Years
Jun 16, 2007
Stilwell, KS
Need some help here....one hen about 2 y/o has runny poo. Had fecal done and she has cocci. None of the other 5 have symptoms although I understand that this could become a flock issue. Their coop, run, waterers are extremely clean. The vet said coccidiosis is asymptomatic in adult birds and wasn't sure how to treat it. No help there. Can someone tell me exactly what to use and the dosage, how many days, when to repeat etc. A product that goes in the waterer seems ideal. I have different size waterers and can dilute an antibiotic as needed. I recently treated my goats with SMZ for cocci and probably contaminated the chicken run or yard from wearing my boots in the goat pasture. I know cocci are indigenous and are always present but I am still careful as coccidia can take them quick. Thanks for your help.

Hello...when any of chicks have had Cocci, I always put antibiotics in the water. You can buy different kinds at your local feed store or Tractor supply. Terramyacin, auriamyacin(sp?) powder have always done the trick for my birds. I just pour about 1-2 tbs. in their waterer. Yes, that much because that stuff isn't very strong. Usualy only 10% antibiotics. The chicken Dcotor, Dr. Peter Brown advised me to use a lot as that stuff s mostly dust. It's fine to treat the other chicks as well, as they may get it and this will prevent it. keep their flooring clean as possible. I use paper towels as they work the easiest. I also fee them medicated chick feed. Dr. Peter Brown also told me that the medicated chick feed also only has a little bit of medicine in it and often isn't always strong enough to get rid to keep chicks from getting cocci. Good luck!

Cocci is treated with sulmet, amprol, or corid. I have seen on here that terramycin is next to useless and never used for cocci. cocci is a parasite not an infection. if you do a search you can find more info, i don't think i have even seen anyone on here with it in an adult bird.
i hope your hens get better.

Quote:
Terramycin is an Antibiotic which is useful for combatting certain organisms but Coccidia is not one of them.
Antibiotics are effective against bacteria & Coccidia are protazoa.
Protazoa require Thyamin to survive. Coccidiostats such as Amprollium prevent Protazoa from absorbing Thyamin so they die.
It is unusual for adult birds be affected by Coccidiosis. Typically it is a disease of growing birds.

Okay so here is my update. I have used Corid 9.6% at 4cc per gallon of water for 5 days. The same hen, a cochin still has loose stools (no form at all) but no blood in the stools. She acts normal otherwise. All of the other hens have normal stools. Any ideas? I also have one BR hen 18 months old that is moulting way more than the others her age. She just acts like she doesn't feel well. She walks a little off balance and doesn't eat as much as usual. She still goes out to range but is slower than her normal speed. Any ideas on this?

Can you tell me where you got tat dosage amount from - 4cc per gal?
I have just started treating with Corid and was told 10cc per gal.....quite a difference. I don't want to overdose.
Mine are only three - seven wks. old.

Click on the link on this thread, that is where I got the dosage. Where did you get the 10cc per gallon dosage advice? Maybe I am under dosing!

Back
Top Bottom