Coccidia in hen and goat?

HereChickies

Chirping
Nov 7, 2018
Wisconsin
Hello all.. this is my first post, so please bare with me.
My animals outside- 14 hens and 3 roosters aged from 2 to 4 years old. Raised for pleasure..
Americana, Rhode island reds (hen and roo), barred, buff orpington, australorp (roo), silkie (roo) and a few I'm not sure of..
7month old fainting goat
6 muscovy ducks- 4 females and 2 drakes
Inside animals- 2 dogs and 2 cats

I have some concerns after my 7 month old fainting goat developed diarrhea. I didn't think much of it at first as he free ranges during the day, I just figured he ate something that upset his stomach. Then day 2 and 3 were the same.. diarrhea.. no blood in it nor is it watery. Just brown diarrhea..
I called the vet and she said if it's not better in 2 days to bring a fecal sample in to test for coccidia. I then of course asked about my chickens as they all free range together. She said a goat and chicken can pass coccidia to each other and vice versa so I needed to seperate Quincey (goat) from the chickens which I did immediately. Can it be passed from goats to chickens and vice versa?

As I continued to monitor my 14 hens and 3 roosters I noticed 1 hen just staying in the hut and looking fluffed. She let's me walk right up to her, which is normal for my chickens. We hold everyone and interact with them several times a day. I then put her in a seperate area. I gave her fresh food with oregano and water with garlic in it. She was eating and drinking. I left her for the night to rest and when I went to give her fresh water and food I seen something very strange in her poop... I have no idea what it is. I've read maybe an intestinal lining, or coccidia!
Other than Quincey having diarrhea and the one hen, everyone is great! But that can change at any time...
Should I get Corid and treat everyone? I read about that product here on backyard chickens..
Nothing changed in their diet or surroundings prior to this.. 20181107_092503.jpg 20181107_092514.jpg 20181107_092351(0).jpg

All animals free range during the day and have access to clean water, fresh hay and grain at all times. We feed non medicated multi flock grains and scratch grains.

Not sure what this is in the hens poop.. 20181107_081025.jpg 20181107_081018.jpg 20181107_081013.jpg

Last edited:
When you take your goat's fecal in, take one from the hen also. Pics of the poop help too, could be intestinal lining. It never hurts to have corid on hand, just in case. It doesn't hurt to treat them, it works by limiting the amount of B vitamins available to the coccidia, which they need to survive.

It sure can, you can have multiple strains in your soil. I'd treat the chicken water with Corid ASAP.

When you take your goat's fecal in, take one from the hen also. Pics of the poop help too, could be intestinal lining. It never hurts to have corid on hand, just in case. It doesn't hurt to treat them, it works by limiting the amount of B vitamins available to the coccidia, which they need to survive.

I will get corid right away then. Unfortunately the only store is over an hour away, but I'll do anything to save my chickies.
My apologies, I forgot to originally add the pics of the hens poop. I have since added them.
Thank you for a fast reply!

It could be intestinal lining, or possibly a lash egg. It doesn't look like coccidiosis to me. You may have a different problem with your hen. Do you still have that poop? Maybe some of the more experienced folks can take it from here.

Yes, I have the poop still.
As mentioned I do have her separated. She has a shelter and an extra large fenced in area for her. She hasn't been out of the shelter at all but it is a chilly day around here (29 degrees F). Everytime I check on her I have noticed her food and water going down so she is eating and drinking. Just not out scratching around like she normally is.. and she just sits there with her head tucked into her wing.

Back
Top Bottom