Coccidia Outbreak

Quote:
Hopefully what you saw was intestinal lining that sometimes has blood in it and is occasionally excreted and is normal. Take a look at the poop chart and you'll see a couple of examples:
http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0
Sounds like you're dealing with large roundworms. Usually if you only see a couple, it means you have hundreds infesting your chicken and laying thousands of eggs. Wazine will get them, but you should follow up in 14 days with another wormer to kill the worms that were missed the first time.

Thanks so much! That last picture of the intestinal lining is exactly what it looked like. I've never noticed that in any of my chickens before, but most are free range during the day, so I don't always see their poo! I will use the Wazine this week. I've never wormed with anything else, though. What would I "follow up" with besides Wazine? I was told at one time you can use Safeguard Goat Wormer (which we have for our goats), but I don't know how much to give chickens!

Safeguard liquid goat wormer dosage is 3cc per gallon of water. Leave it out for them to drink for 3 days straight then discard.

My Neighbor swears by this........
THE MILK FLUSH
for the treatment of
coccidiosis
4 lbs. of dried milk
2 lbs. of corn meal
2 lbs. of oatmeal
1 lb. of bran

This should be fed for 3-
5 days with no other feed
except greens.
(why this works):
the large amount of milk
makes the chicks thirsty
causing them to drink.
The milk sugar will
turn acid in the
stomach and the
added water will
flush out the system.

Quote:
Thanks so much! That last picture of the intestinal lining is exactly what it looked like. I've never noticed that in any of my chickens before, but most are free range during the day, so I don't always see their poo! I will use the Wazine this week. I've never wormed with anything else, though. What would I "follow up" with besides Wazine? I was told at one time you can use Safeguard Goat Wormer (which we have for our goats), but I don't know how much to give chickens!

Safeguard liquid goat wormer dosage is 3cc per gallon of water. Leave it out for them to drink for 3 days straight then discard.

Thanks so much! I am going to use the Wazine right away then deworm with Safeguard. One last question, and then I will leave you alone!
wink.png
Is it okay to continue incubating my eggs while the chickens are being dewormed? My incubators are going full blast right now, and I don't want to stop incubating unless I have to. Thanks.

Quote:

Thanks so much! I am going to use the Wazine right away then deworm with Safeguard. One last question, and then I will leave you alone!
wink.png
Is it okay to continue incubating my eggs while the chickens are being dewormed? My incubators are going full blast right now, and I don't want to stop incubating unless I have to. Thanks.

There's a 14 day withdrawal for both wazine and safeguard, total 28 days. You can cut that down to 24 days if you use the safeguard liquid on the 10th day after first using the wazine. If the eggs were incubating prior to worming, I'd say it's ok and continue incubating. However, until the withdrawal times are up...I'm unsure...I've never incubated eggs. I read somewhere that certain wormers can cause problems, not sure what the wormers were though, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom