Coccidia while eating medicated feed

acceabex

Songster
May 2, 2017
Southeast Missouri
Hi All,

I may have an issue with my last batch of hatchery chicks.

- One died in shipping. One in the brooder (6% loss rate). No one else looks weak
- I saw some blood in fresh poop yesterday, not from the chick that died.

My first reaction is normal losses, but the blood makes me wonder about coccidia. On the other hand, they're less than a week old and eating medicated starter.

Any red flags come to mind?
If this turns into an issue, what is step 2 with coccidia? I've never had an issue on medicated feed before.

As a bit of background, I've brooded out geese, ducks, and chickens. This is my first batch with any losses either in shipping or in the brooder in the years I've been raising birds.

Thanks for that background, it helps. I don't think it is Cocci at that age but I can't totally rule it out. Hatchery chicks are not going to bring it with them, that just doesn't happen. Their biosecurity is too good.

With the typical life cycle of the Cocci bug it is too early. A few bugs in their system is not a problem, it's when the number of bugs builds up to a dangerous level that you get problems. The Medicated Feed, assuming the medicine is Amprolium, does not kill the Cocci bug in the dosage in medicated feed. It inhibits (does not totally stop) the bug's reproduction to keep the numbers from getting out of hand.

Have those chicks been living with exposure to a wet area with lots of manure in it from the other birds? Dirty water is not good either. The Cocci bug thrives in wet manure. The only way I could see it being Cocci at that age would be if they were eating a lot of the bugs "eggs" in a wet area. If the bugs are coming from your other birds then feeding the chicks medicated feed won't keep them from reproducing.

I hardly ever lose a chick either, losing two would be rare. But maybe it means they were mishandled somewhere in shipment, maybe the post office but maybe the airline if they flew. In any case it might be a good idea to start then in a Corid treatment, especially if that really was blood. It won't hurt and might make a big difference.

Are you sure it was blood? Sometimes a chicken will slough off a part of the intestinal lining, that can look red. What have they been eating? I once fed mine the cooked skins from me canning beets. The next morning I thought they were all pooping blood. When I feed red cabbage the poop has a fluorescent blue sheen to it. Something to consider. Still, if you even think you saw blood start the Corid.

... I may have an issue with my last batch of hatchery chicks... One died in shipping. One in the brooder (6% loss rate). No one else looks weak... I saw some blood in fresh poop yesterday, not from the chick that died... but the blood makes me wonder about coccidia. On the other hand, they're less than a week old and eating medicated starter.... Any red flags come to mind?...

Yes, if your hatchery birds have been vaccinated against coccidiosis and then you feed them medicated chick feed, the two (Vaccine and medicated feed) will counteract one another leaving your chicks vulnerable to Coccidiosis.

Thanks for that background, it helps. I don't think it is Cocci at that age but I can't totally rule it out. Hatchery chicks are not going to bring it with them, that just doesn't happen. Their biosecurity is too good.

With the typical life cycle of the Cocci bug it is too early. A few bugs in their system is not a problem, it's when the number of bugs builds up to a dangerous level that you get problems. The Medicated Feed, assuming the medicine is Amprolium, does not kill the Cocci bug in the dosage in medicated feed. It inhibits (does not totally stop) the bug's reproduction to keep the numbers from getting out of hand.

Have those chicks been living with exposure to a wet area with lots of manure in it from the other birds? Dirty water is not good either. The Cocci bug thrives in wet manure. The only way I could see it being Cocci at that age would be if they were eating a lot of the bugs "eggs" in a wet area. If the bugs are coming from your other birds then feeding the chicks medicated feed won't keep them from reproducing.

I hardly ever lose a chick either, losing two would be rare. But maybe it means they were mishandled somewhere in shipment, maybe the post office but maybe the airline if they flew. In any case it might be a good idea to start then in a Corid treatment, especially if that really was blood. It won't hurt and might make a big difference.

Are you sure it was blood? Sometimes a chicken will slough off a part of the intestinal lining, that can look red. What have they been eating? I once fed mine the cooked skins from me canning beets. The next morning I thought they were all pooping blood. When I feed red cabbage the poop has a fluorescent blue sheen to it. Something to consider. Still, if you even think you saw blood start the Corid.

Thank you so much! This is exactly along the lines of what I was thinking, but hearing it from someone not in my head really helps.

Adding to the shipping idea; I was a bit frustrated with the hatchery. The shipment came in two boxes, one had a heat pack and all birds made it. The other was not packed with a heat back and we lost two out of that box.

While I can't rule out being dropped or knocked off, they simply could have gotten cold.

Yes, if your hatchery birds have been vaccinated against coccidiosis and then you feed them medicated chick feed, the two (Vaccine and medicated feed) will counteract one another leaving your chicks vulnerable to Coccidiosis.

No, to the best of my knowledge and intention, they were not vaccinated. But very interesting point. Thanks for adding it -- definitely something I'll file away for the future as I hadn't really run across this angle before.

Thank you both for the information. I really appreciate it. Thus far we've gone an entire day without another loss -- everyone is looking healthy, so hopefully it was a shipping mishap :)fl) or I'm paying back my prior luck. :oops:

If you see blood start Corid asap.
Medicated feed doesn't always prevent coccidiosis nor will it cure it.

Back
Top Bottom