Coccidia

LongRanch

Chirping
Apr 17, 2016
I've been struggling with coccidia in my flock for about a month, and just wondering if there is something else I can do while treating my birds, and what I should buy to spray my yard with.
I had a hen quickly perish a month ago, fecal revealed coccidia, and I was advised to treat my entire flock with Corid. I live in an area where it's impossible to find, so I immediately switched them to medicated feed, and after days of searching for Corid, I finally ordered some, and then I found some neomycin sulfate locally and used that in the water instead. In the days leading up to treatment I did find some bloody stools, but no one seemed ill. After 5 days on the antibiotics, all seemed well, no more bloody stools. Fast forward a couple of weeks, and my chicks who were newly outdoors also became affected, despite having been on medicated feed both before and during/after being outdoors, and being in an area that the rest of my flock rarely frequents. I didn't know they were sick until I found one of them dead -- it had appeared fine that morning. Suddenly everyone had bloody stools. Literally the next day, I was noticing bloody stools in my flock again. This time I used Baycox on all of them (3 days instead of 2, for good measure), and followed up with Germe-Zone (vitamins). Now one of the brooders (indoors) has bloody poops, again even though they are on medicated feed and no where near the chickens outdoors. The brooder is kept clean and there are only 5 of them in there. I must have inadvertently transferred it. The only unaffected brooder I have at this point is my "chick hospital," in a separate room, with chicks who are on tetracyline. I don't believe that is a sulfa based antibiotic, it's just an odd coincidence.
I'm going a little bonkers. Yes, we've had unusually wet weather lately. I've been making sure that any sitting water in my yard gets covered in clay and DE to dry it up. My chickens are free range and have lots of room, so they're not all confined to one area or overcrowded. We do have a LOT (I mean a lot) of earthworms, and of course we have wild birds etc, hard to prevent all of that. I've never had a problem with coccidia before, not with birds or puppies or anything else. Is there anything I can buy that I can put on a hose attachment to spray my yard with (something that won't kill the grass or harm the bees etc) that will kill the cocci? I've been religiously cleaning out the coops and raking up poop from the yard. We are moving in a month, and I want to make sure I don't inadvertently bring a problem to my new property. Thanks in advance!

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble.
I don't think that neomycin sulfate treats coccidiosis, that is usually for e. coli or salmonella. The two most effective treatments are the Corid, or Sulmet (Sulfadimethoxine). In your case I would use the Corid since you have already used multiple antibiotics in your flock. I think that all the antibiotics may be contributing to your problem at this point. They kill both the good and bad gut bacteria and leave the immune system weakened. A strong immune system, starting in the gut, is what allows them to survive the cocci. I would stop the antibiotics (unless they are treating something else?), treat with Corid, and start giving probiotics to help build back up their good gut flora. After treatment with corid is complete, also give some vitamin supplement that contains Thiamine.
Here are a couple of links to info and dosing: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coccidiosis-how-to-treat-it.64386/
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html
Medicated feed contains a very low dose of the amprolium (same as in Corid) and is considered a 'preventative dose', but will not treat or cure an outbreak. I have cocci in my soil, and have occasional outbreaks, and have never used medicated feed. I just keep corid on hand for when/if needed. Corid is NOT an antibiotic, it is a thiamine blocker. I have heard anecdotally about some strains becoming resistant to corid, but my experience has been that it works well every time for me. Rainy periods with soil that stays wet can contribute to outbreaks. There is no way that I know of to eradicate the cocci in the soil, it can survive for a very long time. There are 9 strains of cocci that affect chickens, there are other strains that affect other species. If you have a sick bird carrying cocci when you move, you will likely take whatever strain(s) you have with you. And the new soil could have yet another strain, no way to know. Best practices is to keep every thing as clean and dry as you can and to recognize the symptoms and treat as soon as it starts.
I know it's frustrating, but it is manageable.
When I am raising chicks in a brooder I start bringing in dry soil from outside (not from the chicken run) in a large plant saucer and let them scratch and peck and dustbathe in it. As they get older I start adding small amounts of soil from the chicken run. Theory being they are gradually exposed to all the microbes and can build up some resistance before getting put full time on the ground. This has worked very well for me and I rarely have chicks get sick with it now.
Hope this info helps, and best of luck.

First QUIT THE MEDICATED FEED
use only regular feed for the chicks.
Medicated feed has been banned by USA government as it caused the mess your chicks are in now.
Also use the Corrid for the 7 days in the water.
what happened is when the chicks got on new soil they picked up the coccidiosis ooyst.
Now here is the next step immediately
here is my solution to help the chickens body heal faster.
WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE
for one CHICK
2tbsp. of dry chicken mash or crumbles
1/2 tsp of dry flax seed meal
1 tbsp. of plain yoguart
3tbsp. of water.
1 tbsp. of unpasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar.
mix good
ADD TO WET MASH THREE VITAMINS
1-1000 Mg of Vit e,(cut end off vit. and squeeze it in to the wet mash.)
1-Vit B Complex (crush the vit B complex tablet into a tbsp., add a few drops of water to dissolve)
1-Selenium (crushed and add water to dissolve, put in wet mash)
now mix good and feed the hen twice daily for 7 days.
Then 2nd week
feed 5 times that week.
And feed twice a week for life.
Also can be fed to the rest of the CHICKS AS THEY HAVE THE COCCIDIOSIS..
twice a week with out vitamins.
Then one every three weeks put the vitamins in wet mash probiotic recipe.
THIS RECIPE HERE IS FOR ONE CHICKEN, TO MAKE FOR THE FLOCK MULTIPLY TIMES THE AMOUNT OF CHICKENS FEEDING.
ALSO USE HARD PLASTIC LARGE DOG BOWLS 12" BY 4 INCHES DEEP SO ALL CAN EAST IT.
This will help the hen to heal.
ALSO
add 2 tsp of acv to a gallon of water for them
such as Heinz or Braggs, sold at Walmart.
Do not add a lot of mixtures such as supplements to the water as chickens do not like it messy and will avoid drinking it.
ACV water they will drink readily.
ALSO NOTE:
after medication in water then put ACV in water.

Last edited:
My chicks/chickens were never on medicated feed UNTIL my flock came down with the issue. I have always fed organic or non-GMO feed. The little ones indoors were still on non-medicated feed (the other chicks I switched over when my flock got cocci but they were older, I wouldn't switch these ones as they were younger and some are silkies), and they came down with it despite not having any contact with the outdoors. So medicated feed was not the cause of my problem. I have no idea what caused it; My normally healthy bird just got sick and dropped dead and a week later they all started getting it.
My flock and the chicks outside are fine now -- It's made its rounds, I only have one brooder affected now. They are on Baycox (which is supposedly more effective than Corid) so no point in treating with Corid now. I have it on standby if the Baycox doesn't kick it. I just want to know how to get it out of my yard and birds for good so I can move and not bring it with me. Anything I can spray my grass with and scrub the coops out with etc. They already get Bio-K (fermented rice drink) every day, Germe-Zone (life-saver vitamins) in the water a few days a week, and ACV in the water a few days a week. Lots of fresh fruits and veggies. They live in a small organic orchard so there are lots of healthy goodies for them.
Re the neomycin sulfate; The feed store recommended it, as it's used to treat coccidia in livestock. It IS a sulfa-based antibiotic, which are supposedly used to treat cocci when corid isn't available (I ordered the Corid a month ago and it only came in this week! :( ). I googled it, and several websites did have it listed as a treatment. My flock did stop showing cocci symptoms after their 5 day treatment (well, in the middle of it). It wasn't until a couple of weeks later that I brought new chicks out, which instantly got cocci, and then my flock suddenly got sick again (different strain?? Didn't kick it the first time??). It'd weird as though they sometimes venture to the area I had those chicks, it's not often they do. I'm surprised it is as contagious as it is.
I'm told that lime will kill it, but would that not also destroy the grass and be bad for the birds? My MIL is moving in after we move out and I can just imagine what she'll say about me if I destroy the yard.. Ugh!

Well here is what happens
your coccidiosis ooyst are active in the manure and bedding. your feet while doing the every day chores picks up the ooyst in the bedding and when feeding the new chicksyou accidently carried the oysst on your shoes.
Basically it can't be helped and you are in a situation where you really can't help it either.
By medicating them with corid for 7 days in the water and
FEEDINMG THE WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE
so then the new chicks ingested the active oyooyst and then the coccidiosis started again.
WHEN FEEDING THE MEDICATION IN THE WATER FOR 7 DAYS
ALSO USE THE WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE
AND NOTE FOR CHICKS DO NOT USE MILK USE PLAIN WATER.

I can't use Corid as they are already being treated with Baycox. Today is their last dosage and they won't need any more treatment after that. They get more probiotics from the Bio-K than the recipe has to offer so I think they will be fine without the probiotic mash. I don't feed my chickens milk or any dairy as it can cause fatty liver issues. I thought I doing pretty well at not tracking in the cocci.. I don't wear shoes in my house and other than to clean their brooder, I wasn't handling them at all. I must have forgotten to wash my hands at some point when I was cleaning the brooder. Stupid, but oh well they'll be fine. I have more hatches on the way, so I'll have to be even more careful. Really I'm just hoping to find something I can put in my hose attachment to hose everything down in my yard. I am told that bleach or vinegar is not effective.

(1)
there are 9 strains of coccidiosis
(2) agricultural Lime is not harmful to the chicks.
I would put it on the bedding immediately as it will kill the ooyst that live in the bedding.
(3) I would ofcourse clean all the old bedding out and then on the plain floor spread the ag lime all over the floor.
(4) Now put down the bedding and sprinkle the Ag lime all over it also. the chicks will not be harmed.
(5) I would do this Ag lime and bedding in all the chicken houses active with chickens any size.
This should help you in a most need way.

I live in Canada and sadly there were no two-day shipping options for me. I ordered from Amazon and it took several weeks.

Will the lime kill the grass and other plants in the yard? We are on 1/3rd of an acre. Is it hard to spread?

Back
Top Bottom