Coccidia

Leischfam6

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2018
I’m pretty sure one of my girls has coccidia. I have corrid but I wanted to ask if it’s safe for dogs? The water buckets we have out, the animals share. I want to make sure if they need to be separated during treatment or not. Also I have new chicks ranging from 5 weeks to 1 week old in feed troughs in my barn. Do I need to treat them as well if they’ve never been in contact or in the yard where my flock is?

Hi @Leischfam6 :frow Welcome To BYC

What symptoms do your chicks have that you suspect a Coccidiosis overload?

You may want to talk with your vet or do some research to find if Corid is safe for your dogs.

If the one chick is in a brooder- then treat atleast all the chicks that are housed together. Coccidia is found in poop and soil. Try to keep bedding as dry as you can to help prohibit growth (wet warm conditions oocysts flourish).

Corid dosageis 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon of water or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water.
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

After they finish treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

It’s not my chicks, it’s my year old hens. I’ve found one poop with some blood in it, I found some shavings that didn’t really look like any poo was on it but there was blood on the shavings, I’ve seen like 2 loose stools and maybe one that looks like some mucous in it. This is over a span of a week. But that’s what leads me to believe it’s just 1. I bought the corrid but my knowledgeable feed store lady wasn’t working today so I will ask her all my questions in the am. Then get the corrid going. Also by the way none of my hens appear to be sick at all.

It’s not my chicks, it’s my year old hens. I’ve found one poop with some blood in it, I found some shavings that didn’t really look like any poo was on it but there was blood on the shavings, I’ve seen like 2 loose stools and maybe one that looks like some mucous in it. This is over a span of a week. But that’s what leads me to believe it’s just 1. I bought the corrid but my knowledgeable feed store lady wasn’t working today so I will ask her all my questions in the am. Then get the corrid going. Also by the way none of my hens appear to be sick at all.

Can you take a fresh sample of poop to your vet for testing?

Back
Top Bottom