Coccidios Not Responding to Corid or Sulmet

BOOM BABY! FLIES! They do not have to catch flies for the insect to be a vector. All fly has to do is walk over infected poo / soil then land on food in brooder transferring spores. Flies are nown to vector all sorts of goodies on their feet. Can you deny flies access to brooder?
CRAP!!! No pun intended! I have now. We had an unusualy hot run of weather this summer and for some reason, more flies than normal. Not the manure causing it, we have that piled almost 1/4 mile away, downhill, from anywhere the chickens live or run. Probably the mild winter we had last year. I swatted flies, I hung no-pest strips, fly paper and put screening over their windows. You occasionaly will still get one now from their door being opened but the no pest-strip seems to be taking care of that.

Wow, everyone knows flies are filthy but it never even entered my mind they could have caused this. Expletive, expletive, expletive! Well, the rains have started up here and very soon all of the leaves will be down and the manure pile will be burned. I also think that a heavy application of lime is in order before the ground freezes. Get it done just before it's going to rain so it will soak in.

Thanks! Sometimes you just have to ramble to find the root of the problem. Is this it? Who knows, but it makes more sense than a lot of other things I've thought of.

I am having greater fly issues than usual as well. Drough has made so manure from neighbors horses did break down so built up over summer. Now with light rains they have a bumper crop of flies that have come to visit me. Keeping them out of a brooder in basement of house has been a challenge. Screens and low light levels helped but still more than I like. For a while they even posed a fire hazard by dying lights. Good Luck with those Vermin!

I am having greater fly issues than usual as well. Drough has made so manure from neighbors horses did break down so built up over summer. Now with light rains they have a bumper crop of flies that have come to visit me. Keeping them out of a brooder in basement of house has been a challenge. Screens and low light levels helped but still more than I like. For a while they even posed a fire hazard by dying lights. Good Luck with those Vermin!
If your area is big enough and you have ventilation, the pest-strips are they way to go. They last a long time as well and have just about stopped any flies in the chicken house. Luck to you as well.

I've been following this thread; so very sorry for all your losses! I live in Michigan and have used the Michigan State University path lab, Dr. Fulton has been really helpful. I'd try Cornell if it's closest to you in the future. May this turn out to be the year from hell for you. and then BE OVER! I have had good success using the fly predators; they come by mail monthly. Very easy to use, and not a pesticide. Mary

I have just read this thread and I'm curious about the comment about treating the ground with lime? Do you need to keep the chickens away from the area you are limeing for a while? I'm thinking that I may need to do this as well but wasn't sure if I will need to keep the chickens indoor afterwards.

I have just read this thread and I'm curious about the comment about treating the ground with lime? Do you need to keep the chickens away from the area you are limeing for a while? I'm thinking that I may need to do this as well but wasn't sure if I will need to keep the chickens indoor afterwards.
Some forms of lime are used as a dietary source of calcium. Quick limes and other more caustic forms probably do not taste good even to a chicken and to not act like a proper poison. I use quick lime on fish ponds and even when fish are swimming in it they are not killed although they do try to avoid it. I also walk through stuff and routinely handle agricultural lime with bare hands so form and type of exposure are important.

On another point, I am not certain even the caustic forms of lime are an effective control agent against cocci in soil.

I've been following this thread; so very sorry for all your losses! I live in Michigan and have used the Michigan State University path lab, Dr. Fulton has been really helpful. I'd try Cornell if it's closest to you in the future. May this turn out to be the year from hell for you. and then BE OVER! I have had good success using the fly predators; they come by mail monthly. Very easy to use, and not a pesticide. Mary
thank-you. cornell is who I started with and they referred me back to the state diagnostic lab in Maine. Do tell about the fly predators, not something i've heard of.

What I have been using is called barn lime. it is not as caustic as the others and claims it won't burn the animals.
Some forms of lime are used as a dietary source of calcium. Quick limes and other more caustic forms probably do not taste good even to a chicken and to not act like a proper poison. I use quick lime on fish ponds and even when fish are swimming in it they are not killed although they do try to avoid it. I also walk through stuff and routinely handle agricultural lime with bare hands so form and type of exposure are important.

On another point, I am not certain even the caustic forms of lime are an effective control agent against cocci in soil.
You're right centrarchild, it's a band-aid for a gunshot wound but it's something at least. We've been rototilling the ground as well as adding the lime and wood ash. We have been trying to do this at least once a week since June. The worms don't care for it much so I have at least calmed that down a bit, but you are correct, it hasn't stopped the cocci. I've even tried spraying the ground with bleach and water. I don't think it did much but it satisfied the need to 'Do Something'! I have read on BYC that some people are using one of the ice melters to burn their ground. [ the melters that use the propane] I was told by a Vet today that wood ash was probably the best treatment for the ground if you put it on dry just before it rains you'll effectively get lye. Not much will live through an application of lye.

DO NOT let your poultry walk through wet wood ash!!!! It will burn! Keep them inside if you decide to use this.
So you recommend not "lyeing" to your birds.

I make no effort to erradicate cocci in soil, in part because it is impractical for me. Rather I have simply been making so introduction of birds to cocci is gradual. This requires control of cocci in brooder by keeping brooder relatively clean which flies may be making unusually difficult and using effective coccidiostat like Sulmet or Corid only as needed. I have overdosed as well and lot a couple owing to improper mixing of stock solution. For me, brooder reared birds only have problems and hen reared free-range chicks seem to have little trouble with cocci unless condtitions unusually wet.

Back
Top Bottom