Coccidiosis and my new welsummer chick?

miamor

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 19, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Good Evening all,
After recently losing our favorite 7 week old pullet,Princess, to smothering in a poorly designed coop by Horizon Structures (which I still need to contact them about), we decided to add more to our little flock and pick up 2 more chicks who were around 4 -5 weeks old. A polish and a Welsummer. Yesterday evening I noticed that 'summer' wasn't looking good, she was sleepy looking hardly eating and chirping a lot
sad.png
. I contacted the very friendly and knowledgable woman who I purchased her from at 6:30 am the next day when Summer still looked ill. She called me right away and I picked up Sumlet from her to give to the chicks. It's been about 2 days now since visable signs of sickness and Summer's not showing any signs of getting better. I haven't noticed bloody stool, so that may be a good sign? The woman told me it may 2 - 3 days for her to 'come back around'.
Has anyone had any success with treating their chicks for Coccidiosis? I just couldn't stand losing another one of my son's favorites.
Thanks for lending an 'ear'.

-Linette

Sorry to hear about your chick
hugs.gif
Hope she gets better!
Why don't you type in "Coccidiosis" in the search bar in the "Emergencies & Diseases" section? There's lots of info there.

Sorry to her about this.

Could you share your opinion on the design flaw of the coop? I am presentyl building one based on one of their designs and now you have me concerned!

Sorry to her about this.

Could you share your opinion on the design flaw of the coop? I am presentyl building one based on one of their designs and now you have me concerned!
Sure thing.. I just called them to let them know about the flaw.
We have their "Pull-it" which houses up to 6 chickens, which btw.. we could not pull with our tractor! Someone would probably need one of those heavy duty farm tractors to pull it :(
So.. there are 3 nesting boxes in the henhouse and there was about a 3 1/2" crawl space in between the nesting boxes and the interior of the coop wall. Just enough for my girls to cram into on their second night in their new home. Our favorite being the leader she was, was on the bottom of the pile up and couldn't get out
sad.png
My husband has since filled in that gap with some wood scraps. Hope that helps!

-Linette

I am happy to announce that our Welsummer chick is doing well! She pulled through!! She's smaller than our polish chick of the same age and not quite as active but she's growing and eating, drinking and flapping her wings! Thank you for all for lending an 'ear' and offering some knowledge!

Linette

Back
Top Bottom