Coccidiosis and Roundworms

Green droppings depending on the shade, can be from not eating enough. Are you letting them back out to free range now? That is always better for preventing worms and coccidiosis to be on fresh grass.

Did you administer the wormer orally to the pullet that has green diarrhea, or did you put in water for her to drink?
I administered it to her via water. I had one pullet showing diarrhea initially and then this second pullet started with diarrhea during the second wave of water treatment.

Green droppings depending on the shade, can be from not eating enough. Are you letting them back out to free range now? That is always better for preventing worms and coccidiosis to be on fresh grass.
They haven’t been back out to free range. I’m concerned they will get sick again the way they initially did from droppings from wild birds. That and my dogs were eating their droppings when they were free ranging; which happens. We were thinking of attaching a run to their coop.

I administered it to her via water. I had one pullet showing diarrhea initially and then this second pullet started with diarrhea during the second wave of water treatment.
The problem with mixing medications and wormers in water is that you dont know if the bird drank it or drank enough of it to be effective, and sick birds rarely drink.
It's best to give meds/wormers orally to each bird, that way you know they got properly dosed. No guesswork about it.

The problem with mixing medications and wormers in water is that you dont know if the bird drank it or drank enough of it to be effective, and sick birds rarely drink.
It's best to give meds/wormers orally to each bird, that way you know they got properly dosed. No guesswork about it.
I think I’m going to go ahead and try that. Just when I thought that things were better the one with diarrhea just decided to stop drinking. I’m going to re-treat her, this time orally. Do you think I should isolate her? The other chickens are starting to peck at her.

If she's ill enough that she's being picked on, then yes I would isolate her. You can use a wire crate in the run if you have room, then she can still see and be seen by the others, but not get picked on. If she's very sick, then she may need to be in a warmer place. It will also give you a chance to monitor food and water intake and see what droppings are looking like. IF this is all caused by internal parasites, then it can take anywhere from a couple of days to a week to start seeing improvement.

If she's ill enough that she's being picked on, then yes I would isolate her. You can use a wire crate in the run if you have room, then she can still see and be seen by the others, but not get picked on. If she's very sick, then she may need to be in a warmer place. It will also give you a chance to monitor food and water intake and see what droppings are looking like. IF this is all caused by internal parasites, then it can take anywhere from a couple of days to a week to start seeing improvement.
I’m wondering if maybe she is acting this way from depletion of vitamins? I heard Corid can take a lot out of them.

There is a very small chance that Corid can cause a thiamine deficiency, usually a concern with small chicks. I think it's more likely that something else is going on.

There is a very small chance that Corid can cause a thiamine deficiency, usually a concern with small chicks. I think it's more likely that something else is going on.
So after all the freaking out she ended up just needing to pass an egg. I was looking further into it though and I have them on probiotics and vitamins just in case because I did read Corid could be rough on their bodies.

Hi everyone! In a previous post (about 4 days ago) I mentioned that I thought my birds had coccidiosis. Well their fecal results came back and they do have it, and they also have roundworms as well. They have been on Corid for about 4 days, but the vet suggested I also treat their roundworms and that there is feed for coccidiosis. Does anyone have suggestions for roundworm meds for them or the coccidiosis feed?

How did you go about getting the fecal? I have 18 chickens. Do you just wait for a few to poop?

Back
Top Bottom