coccidiosis and scaly leg mites (?) please help!

camie12345

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 14, 2014
Hi,
I have 3 about 6 month bantam chickens. They all seemed fine until about a week ago when one pooped out blood. I spoil my chickens and my first thought was that it was just the raspberries I fed them the previous day. But today as I was cleaning out their coop and watching my chickens I noticed that some of the droppings had blood in them. I did some research and discovered the desease coccidiosis. I read that it was fatal which really scares me, because my chickens are my dearly loved pets and I would be destroyed if one died so quickly (I got them about a month ago). They are like my kids!
anyway, I looked carefully at all of the chickens and I noticed that my chicken Snowy seemed very pale and wasn't eating much but drank plenty. I just ordered Corin but it won't come until Wednesday and I'm not sure if that will be quick enough! I'm isolating her tonight to see tomorrow if she's the one who's been pooping blood. She's also been super quiet lately and she's just been sitting, not really doing much. please help!
Another one of my chickens has something weird on the back of her legs. One of my friends who's had chickens for years suggested that they were scaly leg mites, but please tell me if they are dangerous. They flake of if I touch them but they don't really seem to be affecting her health. Should I buy medication for it? If so, what should I get?
Thanks for all the help!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sorry about your bird!
hugs.gif

Coccidiosis is caused by tiny creatures called coccidia, a kind of protozoa. They grow rapidly and spread fast. This germ spreading disease is very common. Protozoa live everywhere including inside chickens. However, in the case of coccidiosis the protozoa become to countless and make the chicks sick. There is not many ways to treat this. But, there are many ways to prevent it. To prevent this in adult chickens don’t allow water to collect in their living quarters. Clean their waterers and feeders often and provide daily and good management. Sadly, some chickens don’t live through coccidiosis because by the time it’s noticed, it’s too late. (Symptoms include: Weakness, lifelessness, pale combs and wattles, bloody droppings, not eating and sudden death.) The good news is if you know your flock and observe them daily, you can catch this early. Plus, if your bird lives through it, she won’t catch it again. The best treatments are amprolium and sulfa drugs and chorid 9.6% solution in the water.

Feel free to post here too.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck!

Leg mites can be treated with Vaseline. Just put a generous amount Vaseline over their legs and in a few days, the mites will suffocate and die. work it under the scales.

Back
Top Bottom