Coccidiosis conundrum

It's not good advice. Blood in the stools, especially when it's been confirmed that the chickens have coccidiosis, is an indication that the intestines are being inflamed by the coccidia, causing bacteria to grow into a condition called enteritis. It can be very serious.

Get the vet to write a prescription for this. https://jedds.com/products/trimethoprin-sulfa-medpet?_pos=1&_sid=83dcb7a2a&_ss=r Or order it yourself . It's just that no time should be wasted waiting for it to come in the mail. It can be mixed into the drinking water.

The usual treatment with Corid is for five days, a week off, then five more days. You can mix the Corid with the sulfa.

I got in touch with an avian vet in the area to confirm it via fecal samples, and they have been on corid for 10 days... I got in touch with her after day 7 to tell her they were still symptomatic and she said to give it a few more days.
Ask your vet if she can get you some Baycox.

You could also add some of the corid treated water to their food and make them a wet mash. It will get additional corid in their system in case they aren’t drinking as much. May also want to clean out the bedding to get the infected poop away from them. I agree I would continue treatment a few days longer, and double-ditto on making sure the probiotics don’t have added vitamins, which will render the Corid ineffective toward treating Coccidosis.

It should be fixed soon.

I found the duplicate thread, clicked "report," and got a popup box where I typed the reason (it's a duplicate.) That will go to a mod, who can delete the extra or combine them into one thread.

If that happens again in future, just "report" your own post, and give the explanation.
Thank you!

It's not good advice. Blood in the stools, especially when it's been confirmed that the chickens have coccidiosis, is an indication that the intestines are being inflamed by the coccidia, causing bacteria to grow into a condition called enteritis. It can be very serious.

Get the vet to write a prescription for this. https://jedds.com/products/trimethoprin-sulfa-medpet?_pos=1&_sid=83dcb7a2a&_ss=r Or order it yourself . It's just that no time should be wasted waiting for it to come in the mail. It can be mixed into the drinking water.

The usual treatment with Corid is for five days, a week off, then five more days. You can mix the Corid with the sulfa.
I found out that I can't get antibiotics in my state without a prescription, but my horse vet was able to get a hold of some ampicillin for me before for the one hen so they might be able to get me something. Are there any alternatives in case he can't get that kind in particular?

You could also add some of the corid treated water to their food and make them a wet mash. It will get additional corid in their system in case they aren’t drinking as much. May also want to clean out the bedding to get the infected poop away from them. I agree I would continue treatment a few days longer, and double-ditto on making sure the probiotics don’t have added vitamins, which will render the Corid ineffective toward treating Coccidosis.
They're eating and drinking fine, I work from home so I have been watching them a lot... it's just the abnormal poo. I throw down straw in the run and rake it out everyday, and I have been putting in a lot extra so they're hopefully less exposed to their poop. I also stopped using granular sweet pdz inside the coop because I think that's how they got it, I was just scooping it like cat litter every day and changing the pdz every couple of months. I'm willing to bet they were dust bathing in it and eating it. Now I use a thick layer of flake pine shavings that gets completely removed every couple days. It got really chilly here really fast so I think that's keeping them warmer at night too.

Baycox is another sort of treatment for coccidiosis. It's a coccidiostat like Corid, but it's not approved in the US so your vet may not be able to get it.

The vet should have no trouble getting the sulfa drug. Or this one. https://www.jedds.com/shop/trimethoprinsulfa-100-g-medpet/ It has a sulfa antibiotic plus a coccidiostat.

It's a huge blessing the chickens are showing no signs of serious illness. It may be the Corid has knocked out the coccidiosis but now the intestines are inflamed. The sulfa will heal that so it doesn't develop into a more serious infection called necrotic enteritis. You can discuss this with your vet if you don't quite understand.

Back
Top Bottom