Coccidiosis conundrum

If your horse vet can't produce the sulfa antibiotic, e-mail the link to them and ask for them to FAX a prescription to the above linked online pharmacy and then you may place your order with them. That will have satisfied California law and you will then be shipped the drug. Use according to the mixing instructions on the package.

Baycox is another sort of treatment for coccidiosis. It's a coccidiostat like Corid, but it's not approved in the US so your vet may not be able to get it.

The vet should have no trouble getting the sulfa drug. Or this one. https://www.jedds.com/shop/trimethoprinsulfa-100-g-medpet/ It has a sulfa antibiotic plus a coccidiostat.

It's a huge blessing the chickens are showing no signs of serious illness. It may be the Corid has knocked out the coccidiosis but now the intestines are inflamed. The sulfa will heal that so it doesn't develop into a more serious infection called necrotic enteritis. You can discuss this with your vet if you don't quite understand.
Thank you! Some of them got very pale in the beginning and then got better on the corid, but are now getting very pale again while they're still on it. I'm worried that these ones do have a secondary infection so I think it sucks that the avian vet wasn't willing to prescribe me something before leaving for a week. The one we thought might be egg bound in the beginning seemed to respond to the ampicillin the horse vet found for me with the corid, if that's all they have again do you think it might work? My horse vet is mostly retired but keeps seeing my horse and doesn't keep a huge variety of things on hand. I might be able to get them to write a script so I can order the sulfa and rush ship it so it gets here by the time I have to stop dosing with the corid or hopefully before.

If your horse vet can't produce the sulfa antibiotic, e-mail the link to them and ask for them to FAX a prescription to the above linked online pharmacy and then you may place your order with them. That will have satisfied California law and you will then be shipped the drug. Use according to the mixing instructions on the package.
Thank you!!!

So one of the production layers just laid this... it's her first egg. She's one of the ones who's looking poorly again so I was really surprised. What's the speckling all over it? It doesn't feel pocked like it's part of the shell or anything. She's throwing bedding and straw over her back again already like she's going to go lay another.

Attachments

• 20220927_091949.jpg
    20220927_091949.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 7
Please try to understand this. Sulfa is the best antibiotic for enteritis. Ask your horse vet to simply FAX a script to Jedd's. I am right now trying to get the number for you.

Once Jedd's has the script, they will fill your order for the sulfa. If you order the sulfa without the coccidiostat, you can mix it in the same water as the Corid. If you order the sulfa with the coccidiostat, you don't need the Corid. Just mix the sulfa into the drinking water each day according to instructions on the bag.

The egg is typical of either an older layer getting on in years who has an aging shell gland and not able to lay down a smooth layer of color or a hen who is coming into molt and her body is devoting most of her energy into feather replacement. It may or may not be related to the coccidiosis, but it's nothing to be concerned about.

Please try to understand this. Sulfa is the best antibiotic for enteritis. Ask your horse vet to simply FAX a script to Jedd's. I am right now trying to get the number for you.

Once Jedd's has the script, they will fill your order for the sulfa. If you order the sulfa without the coccidiostat, you can mix it in the same water as the Corid. If you order the sulfa with the coccidiostat, you don't need the Corid. Just mix the sulfa into the drinking water each day according to instructions on the bag.

The egg is typical of either an older layer getting on in years who has an aging shell gland and not able to lay down a smooth layer of color or a hen who is coming into molt and her body is devoting most of her energy into feather replacement. It may or may not be related to the coccidiosis, but it's nothing to be concerned about.
Thank you! You have been so incredibly helpful, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!!!

Jedd's isn't open yet, not until 10am mountain, but I left a message about the FAX number. Their business phone number is 800-659-5928 if you want to call them yourself.

Jedd's isn't open yet, not until 10am mountain, but I left a message about the FAX number. Their business phone number is 800-659-5928 if you want to call them yourself.
Thank you, I'm going to call the vet as soon as I get out of this appt and ask them if they will fax me a script!

So I have updates. My horse Vet wouldn't prescribe me anymore antibiotics so I found a different poultry vet. I'm in Ohio and I checked OSU's extension website again and found that they have a registry of all the practicing poultry vets in the state. I found another one 30 min from me who hadn't been showing up in my google searches and makes really reasonably priced farm calls. She couldn't see the chickens for several days, so I just gave them lots of supportive care (tempting them with healthy protein-rich treats, syringing a few mL twice a day of the medicated water into the worst ones, and offering scrambled eggs to the ones who were going to bed with empty crops).

By Mon I was seeing very little blood but still tons of diarrhea. Now they just have diarrhea and some piles of mucous with urates minus the blood I had been seeing. Eating and drinking on their own, no more paleness, acting normally. The new vet was out yesterday and found them to be in really good health for what they've been through just last week, so that made me feel good, and she did more fecals. She found isospora, and not many. When reading about coccidiosis I haven't really seen much about this strain infecting chickens?

She said if reinfection seems apparent to dose with corid again, but they were having such a hard time bouncing back even on the corid I wonder why she wouldn't try something different... when I asked her this she said she hadn't heard of coccidia being resistant to corid, but I see threads about on BYC all the time. Maybe I'm just new to chickens but it seems like if they're on something for 14 days and are still having some issues it's time to try another drug.

Back
Top Bottom