Coccidiosis? How long should I wait?

Annoyed

Hatching
Mar 17, 2021
My rooster was asleep on his feet Friday. I woke him up and thought nothing much of it. Then Sunday, I found him laying in the coop while everyone else was out, not opening eyes, refusing to get up and neon green poop near him. There was also a brownish yuck on the front of him presumably from his beak. I panicked. Did tons of research...I know, I got my DVM from google. Anywho, treated him with Corid starting Monday. He has perked up a TINY bit. Still doing the head thing like Stevie Wonder, not getting up, not opening his eyes. No other chickens are exhibiting any symptoms. They are being treated through their water just in case. He is being force fed water with a syringe. He has not eaten. Should I keep treating him or put him down? Could this be something else? Should I get an antibiotic or is it too late? Am I causing him to suffer?
Thanks in advance...

I've had this problem in the past-they never fully recovered.If it goes on longer than a week I'd consider euthanasia. Separate him from the flock,and clean the coop well.Make sure there is no wet shavings or moisture in there.I use a bit of a.c. vinegar in there water for prevention! All I can offer on this...good luck!

I've had this problem in the past-they never fully recovered.If it goes on longer than a week I'd consider euthanasia. Separate him from the flock,and clean the coop well.Make sure there is no wet shavings or moisture in there.I use a bit of a.c. vinegar in there water for prevention! All I can offer on this...good luck!
Thanks. I just don't want to cause him undo suffering. But I also didn't want to murder him if he was going to recover. I don't think I caught it in time.

I'd wait for some more opines on this-I wouldn't call it murder just responsible humane animal treatment.I personally never let my critters suffer needlessly for long periods of time.And if it spreads through the flock like mine did it won't be fun.But definatly get him away from the flock before another bird gets it!

I've had this problem in the past-they never fully recovered.If it goes on longer than a week I'd consider euthanasia. Separate him from the flock,and clean the coop well.Make sure there is no wet shavings or moisture in there.I use a bit of a.c. vinegar in there water for prevention! All I can offer on this...good luck

Oh Wow...I thought with Corid they would fully recover them if caught in time??? I have no way of knowing which one did it. There was only one dropping that looked suspicious and everyone is acting healthy. They coop is brand new with new shavings....less than 48 hours old. I use ACV in water every other fill up.

Back
Top Bottom