Coccidiosis in 9 week pullets - will they survive?

Chickentings

Chirping
Apr 19, 2023
I have a flock of 9. Two have coccidiosis. I noticed them both with their fluffed up look, lethargy and sleepy eyes. I treated immediately by replacing their regular water with water with Corid in it. This is day 2 of the treatment and I do notice the first bird picking up more energy than when I found her. Then I found the second one looking the same as the first, today. Questions: should I isolate the two that are noticeably lethargic? If the rest of the flock will show symptoms later, what is survival rate of chicks their age (9 weeks)? Do I clean the coop out and disinfect NOW or when they have all improved in health? I’m posting photos of feces that I noticed are different than the usual. Please tell me my chicks will survive this :( by the way, the two noticeably affected drink and eat fine.

Attachments

• 708FE799-B418-4E53-8097-AF42F0AA7E1C.jpeg
    708FE799-B418-4E53-8097-AF42F0AA7E1C.jpeg
    718.4 KB · Views: 91
  • AFFFFF8F-A13C-4927-A7A1-2737CB1A29A4.jpeg
    AFFFFF8F-A13C-4927-A7A1-2737CB1A29A4.jpeg
    680.1 KB · Views: 12
  • FB9E851A-0590-46BE-A036-95793F2B8642.jpeg
    FB9E851A-0590-46BE-A036-95793F2B8642.jpeg
    640.5 KB · Views: 13
I would leave the water treatment for everyone and then I would isolate the most sickly and give them their own water, some warmth and then I would take a small amount of straight CORID and feed by oral syringe so they get a bit more since they are visibly ill. I have 15, 3 week old chicks that all got it and I treated them this way—very aggressively—and they are all back to normal. It took about 4 days to see them act normal again.

I would leave the water treatment for everyone and then I would isolate the most sickly and give them their own water, some warmth and then I would take a small amount of straight CORID and feed by oral syringe so they get a bit more since they are visibly ill. I have 15, 3 week old chicks that all got it and I treated them this way—very aggressively—and they are all back to normal. It took about 4 days to see them act normal again.
Can they overdose on Corid? How much should I feed by mouth for the two visibly sick ones? Thank you also for a story of hope! I would be devastated if they didn’t make it they’re part of our family :(

Can they overdose on Corid? How much should I feed by mouth for the two visibly sick ones? Thank you also for a story of hope! I would be devastated if they didn’t make it they’re part of our family :(
I gave each baby about 0.1 mls of straight CORID. I believe you can OD them on CORID, so only a tiny amount is needed of the straight meds. It is a thiamine blocker so it’s not the same as an actual antibiotic and won’t OD them the same way. @Wyorp Rock might have a more specific dosage recommendation—but I gave the same to tinier chicks pooping straight blood and I lost one before treating them so I feel like you would do okay starting with this and hopefully more experienced folks will chime in on anything else to watch for or do. :) I hope they all make it! Mine are like family too and it’s just so hard to lose them 😢❤️

I gave each baby about 0.1 mls of straight CORID. I believe you can OD them on CORID, so only a tiny amount is needed of the straight meds. It is a thiamine blocker so it’s not the same as an actual antibiotic and won’t OD them the same way. @Wyorp Rock might have a more specific dosage recommendation—but I gave the same to tinier chicks pooping straight blood and I lost one before treating them so I feel like you would do okay starting with this and hopefully more experienced folks will chime in on anything else to watch for or do. :) I hope they all make it! Mine are like family too and it’s just so hard to lose them 😢❤️
Thank you thank you so much for the advice! How many days should I do the .1 ml for the more sickly ones?

Thank you thank you so much for the advice! How many days should I do the .1 ml for the more sickly ones?
Of course! I gave the straight dose twice. I watched them for 24 hours and they were still super fluffed up and pooping bloody so I did one more dose. That seemed to be plenty. If they start looking much better within 24 hours of the first amount it may be enough to just rely on the water treatment. If they still act sick I don’t know that one more treatment will hurt anything.

Direct dose the worst ones with Undiluted Liquid Corid at a rate of 0.10ml per pound of weight given orally twice a day.

This is in addition to them drinking the Mixed Corid Water (dosing is below) throughout the day. IF they are not drinking, then syringe the Mixed Corid Water into them frequently.
Encourage them to eat their chick starter. You can provide a wet mash of feed made with the Mixed Corid Water as well.

As for cleaning, just scoop up poops, add a bit of fresh bedding. Keep the brooder/housing dry, clean up spills and keep the food and water stations cleaned.
Coccidiosis is caused by protozoa (Coccidia). These are found in poop and in soil. When there is an overload of them in the system is when there's a problem. Chicks will start to build resistance with exposure.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Direct dose the worst ones with Undiluted Liquid Corid at a rate of 0.10ml per pound of weight given orally twice a day.

This is in addition to them drinking the Mixed Corid Water (dosing is below) throughout the day. IF they are not drinking, then syringe the Mixed Corid Water into them frequently.
Encourage them to eat their chick starter. You can provide a wet mash of feed made with the Mixed Corid Water as well.

As for cleaning, just scoop up poops, add a bit of fresh bedding. Keep the brooder/housing dry, clean up spills and keep the food and water stations cleaned.
Coccidiosis is caused by protozoa (Coccidia). These are found in poop and in soil. When there is an overload of them in the system is when there's a problem. Chicks will start to build resistance with exposure.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.
I have followed the orally feeding liquid Corid for the ones who look visibly more sick and the Corid water solution is available all day to all chicks. I do see that they all eat and drink quite normal. Should I allow them to still free range our little backyard during treatment? Or just stay in the coop the whole time while keeping it clean?

I have followed the orally feeding liquid Corid for the ones who look visibly more sick and the Corid water solution is available all day to all chicks. I do see that they all eat and drink quite normal. Should I allow them to still free range our little backyard during treatment? Or just stay in the coop the whole time while keeping it clean?
Make sure the weakest one is getting the mixed Corid solution in addition to the direct oral drench. If she's not drinking, then syringe the mixed water into her frequently. It's very hard to overdose on Corid.

I'd let them do what they normally do, if they range about and are able, go for it. Just make sure that all water stations have Corid Water. Cleaning and cleaning is not going to eliminate Coccidia from their environment. The chicks need exposure and to build resistance. The corid helps with that.

Make sure the weakest one is getting the mixed Corid solution in addition to the direct oral drench. If she's not drinking, then syringe the mixed water into her frequently. It's very hard to overdose on Corid.

I'd let them do what they normally do, if they range about and are able, go for it. Just make sure that all water stations have Corid Water. Cleaning and cleaning is not going to eliminate Coccidia from their environment. The chicks need exposure and to build resistance. The corid helps with that.
Hi there! It’s day 4 of treatment and the weakest one is still lethargic but has continued to stay actively eating and drinking. She will peck around with the others as well. I noticed that another one of my chicks is starting to sneeze. At first I thought she may have just contracted the cocci because they are all in the same coop, but I heard her sneeze several times, puffed up ball, and lethargic as well. Does cocci cause sneezing? Should I isolate the sneezing one? I’m at a loss as I don’t know what to prepare for next. I appreciate any knowledge you have!

Back
Top Bottom