Coccidiosis -Please help! I think my chicken has this :-(

Yes thank you I found the dosage and am giving her medicated water and trying to do the drench .
all the others are getting the medicated water as well. The poop looks exactly like the examples on the web. As far as balanced diet they have a good feed from our co op plus the scratch is only a small handful a day . Then a handful of the dried meal worms from rural king and then usually a fruit or veg treat like blue berries or cucumber or watermelon. All I can figure it it’s because we were gone and things were done properly as far as how they got it ?
It's not uncommon for young birds to have an overload of Coccidia (Coccidiosis). Coccidia is a protozoa found in soil and in poop. Warm wet conditions the oocysts can flourish, so it would be really hard to say if it was due to the chicken sitters' actions.

You are giving fruits and veggies - is grit provided as well?
I would focus on the chicks eating chick starter for most of their diet, limit the treats.

All I can figure it it’s because we were gone and things were done properly as far as how they got it ?

Lots of rain can also increase the levels of coccidia in the soil according to my vet.

If their water dishes get pooped in consider elevating them I keep the water on a cinder block with another block next to it so the small birds can reach it.

It's not uncommon for young birds to have an overload of Coccidia (Coccidiosis). Coccidia is a protozoa found in soil and in poop. Warm wet conditions the oocysts can flourish, so it would be really hard to say if it was due to the chicken sitters' actions.

You are giving fruits and veggies - is grit provided as well?
I would focus on the chicks eating chick starter for most of their diet, limit the treats.

yes grit but she isn’t a baby really -she’s 15 weeks this Friday :) so those kind of treats are ok right ? Or no?

Hey guys I edited my first post -I don’t know why it said 8 weeks -I guess I typed it wrong somehow in my haste to post -sorry about that :-(
She is almost 4 months old.

Don’t wanna jinx it but she seems to be doing better today! If she is a she lol... was able to do the oral drench today after watching a video -just doing the slow drip at the side of the beak to be safe ...
11A2B3B4-F2E2-4B3B-9B35-7AC0333777A3.jpeg

yes grit but she isn’t a baby really -she’s 15 weeks this Friday :) so those kind of treats are ok right ? Or no?
Don’t wanna jinx it but she seems to be doing better today! If she is a she lol... was able to do the oral drench today after watching a video -just doing the slow drip at the side of the beak to be safe ...

Those kinds of treats are fine, but too much can dilute the nutritional / protein content they get. I would probably just choose one treat a day instead of a lot at one time.

Thanks for clarifying her age. She's lovely. If you can get some photos of what her poop looks like now.

Ok so not a fruit or veg plus a handful of worms plus a handful of grit ? Ok and here’s the poop
B0CE4C34-A859-4A3D-81A6-3BB0C90E58EB.jpeg

Ok so not a fruit or veg plus a handful of worms plus a handful of grit ? Ok and here’s the poop
View attachment 2277596

How much does she weigh?
Is she drinking the medicated water in addition to you direct oral drenching?

If that doesn't start clearing up by tomorrow, I would be inclined to also administer an antibiotic to help with infection. Do you have any on hand? Tylosin, Amoxicillin, etc.?

She is drinking medicated water some and eating a little. She’s 3.2 pounds. I don’t have any but can get some -tell me what to get and I can run to rural king or tractor supply. Honestly it looks better today than yesterday -yesterday was straight liquid :-(
But I will do whatever you think needs done. I have one other who has similar poop right now but she is acting ok so she is still with the others -I just noticed it today . I did the oral drench though on her as well.

Back
Top Bottom