Coccidiosis -Please help! I think my chicken has this :-(

Donkeygrl

Songster
May 26, 2020
We went on a trip and were gone for three days. We had a girl taking care of things but when I came back the water containers were not cleaned out like I do daily. It also has rained every day we were gone . Anyway one of my chickens wasn’t acting right :-(
She was standing away from the others and then I saw her poop what looked to be straight blood :(
She wouldn’t eat the scratch I throw out and the others love it and come running . I have her separate in the house now in a dog cage and am getting Corid 9.6 solution today to give her as I researched on here . I love her and don’t want her to die :( she is 14 weeks old and these are my first chickens . My question is should I go ahead and treat everyone anyway? Also I have the 6 “babies” that are 9 weeks and one adult hen so if I do treat her don’t eat the eggs right ? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Anyone? I am having a hard time doing the oral drench -guess I need to research how to open the beak properly :-/

I would treat all the birds. I had 2 pass from coccidiosis. I treated the rest that had no symptoms. Use syringe and drop a few drops on the side of her mouth. She should open her mouth and take them on her own

Maybe use a different syringe for each bird you are treating so nothing gets passed on or around the flock from using the one syringe, just a suggestion :)

If my chickens get through this Is this something that I treat once every few months in case or ?

If my chickens get through this Is this something that I treat once every few months in case or ?
You should not have to treat any of these birds again but you will most likely need to treat any and all future birds.

Treat ALL of the current birds at the same time.
Make sure you do not offer any vitamins while treating with the Corid.

I'd stop the scratch too and just feed a complete balanced commercially made poultry crumble or pelleted feed.

Scratch is like feeding them candy... Doing so takes away from them getting a balanced diet. Not getting a balanced diet will cause other issues.

My girls had Coccidiosis at maybe 6 and 9 weeks old (2 age groups of chicks together). Get Corid and use this in the pic, very helpful. A2DEFAF4-44E8-4567-9083-95EBCEDFE7EF.jpeg the stance they have FBE4EFA9-5E72-4458-8212-2CC6D110CBD3.jpeg

We went on a trip and were gone for three days. We had a girl taking care of things but when I came back the water containers were not cleaned out like I do daily. It also has rained every day we were gone . Anyway one of my chickens wasn’t acting right :-(
She was standing away from the others and then I saw her poop what looked to be straight blood :(
She wouldn’t eat the scratch I throw out and the others love it and come running . I have her separate in the house now in a dog cage and am getting Corid 9.6 solution today to give her as I researched on here . I love her and don’t want her to die :( she is 9 weeks old and these are my first chickens . My question is should I go ahead and treat everyone anyway? Also I have the 6 “babies” that are 9 weeks and one adult hen so if I do treat her don’t eat the eggs right ? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Anyone? I am having a hard time doing the oral drench -guess I need to research how to open the beak properly :-/
Please post some photos of the chicks and the poop.
I would treat all of them. See the photo below for correct dosing.

Oral drench of Liquid Corid is 0.1ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 3 days. This is in addition to her drinking the mixed Corid water as the only source of water.

Make sure she's drinking the medicated water really well and eating her chick starter too.

Sometimes it's a bit tricky to give oral medication to a chick that age - you may need to drop the liquid Corid on the side of the beak and let her take it in drop by drop.
Here's another some other info on giving oral medication
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...er-construction-check-back-for-updates.73335/

1596599040927.png

Yes thank you I found the dosage and am giving her medicated water and trying to do the drench .
all the others are getting the medicated water as well. The poop looks exactly like the examples on the web. As far as balanced diet they have a good feed from our co op plus the scratch is only a small handful a day . Then a handful of the dried meal worms from rural king and then usually a fruit or veg treat like blue berries or cucumber or watermelon. All I can figure it it’s because we were gone and things were done properly as far as how they got it ?

Back
Top Bottom