Coccidiosis, Respiratory or ?

tilika

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2016
Sparks, Okla
Hi all I hope you can help me with this. I have a baby Maran that is not doing well. After a lot of research on BYC I was afraid it was Coccidiosis. Started him/her on Corid last night and the Maran perked up, started standing/walking, eating and drinking on it's own ect. I really thought it was going to pull through. This morning though it seems to be worse. Wont eat or drink, very lethargic, wont even hold it's head up. It also has labored breathing but no discharge of any kind. Can anyone confirm if this does sound like Coccidiosis (these symptoms fit - Ruffled Feathers, Acting Chilled, Falling asleep while standing, unwillingness to move.) or maybe a Respiratory illness (labored breathing only) or even something else pls?

I am new to raising chicks and have lost approximately 10 babies in the last week and a half. I just thought it was because the room I have them in is very hot and humid (no ac in our house so inside temps easily reach over 100F with 60-80% humidity) and a friend told me the high humidity could be the problem. Now I am wondering if it is not something else that is killing my babies. Most of the ones I have lost did not show signs of being ill. I would check on them and all would be fine then check a couple hours later and find one dead or wake in the morning to find one or two gone. I am very confused by all this and am tired of losing chicks so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I now have another bird that's sick. This one has the labored breathing and what looks like an irritated eye. At this point I am beginning to think respiratory problems but still hoping for help.

If it is respiratory does this mean all my chicks are infected and if any live they will always be carriers? I am hoping to bread and sell birds in the future so don't want to waste money saving chicks if it means I can't ever sell my birds.

Please any info would be very much appreciated!

The conditions you have them in are perfect for transmitting respiratory pathogens, unfortunately. Also, if they are pooping a lot and the poop is not cleaned up soon, the breakdown of the nitrogen into ammonia can be toxic to them, and would appear as respiratory symptoms. These are the 2 majors reasons why proper ventilation is critical for all livestock, including chickens.

Have you tried dosing them with Tylan or some other antibiotic that targets bacterial respiratory infections?

I would get a couple of fans and start circulating the air in the room, and keep the windows open.

Make sure the bedding is clean and dry.

Make sure the water is clean and raised up off the floor. You can put some Sav-a-Chick electrolytes in it.

Get some Tylan 50 and dose them orally. There are other antibiotics for respiratory infections, search the forum and see what you can get.

When I first got chickens, I researched all of the common chicken injury and illnesses. I then gathered together or purchased all of the items that I would need in an emergency, and put them all together into a box. I have scissors and scalpels, antibiotic, Epsom salts, bandage wrap, cotton pads, veterinary antiseptic, liquid calcium, hemorrhoid cream, worming medicine, Corid, probiotic powder, electrolytes, Neosporin...the list goes on and on. You need to be prepared for anything, so that you have the materials and equipment on hand when you desperately need them.

I have 1 fan in the west window as an exhaust fan and another in the south window blowing in (not on the chicks) to circulate the air. A gentleman I got some of my chicks from is going to give me some medicine to try so going to pick it up now.

Make sure the medicine he gives you is actually designed to treat the illness they have.
1f642.png

Back
Top Bottom