Coccidiosis suspected

Driley62

Songster
Jun 8, 2021
Chazy, NY
Howdy all,

I suspect one of the birds in the 9 im soon adding to my flock came down with coccidiosis(I know quarantine...spare me the lecture on that.). I thought I read somewhere that I can treat such things with medicated feed. Is that such a thing?

I did find a thread on here that talks about meds that are available near me that I can use(spelled it out quite easily for a non mathematician like myself) and will go that route if need be. But thought if medicated feed will do the same ill get a bag of medicated feed rather than mess with dosages and tracking. Get a bag or two and when it's gone it's gone.

Medicated feed has the same ingredient (amprollium) as Corid, the usual treatment for coccidiosis, but it does not contain enough of the amprollium to treat and out break. It is only supposed to help prevent coccidiosis as the chick is exposed to and building up a tolerance of it.

How old is the chicken? What are the symptoms, and how do the droppings look? If you want to treat for possible coccidiosis I would start some Corid in the water. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder, per gallon of water for 5-7 days. I would treat all birds that came at the same time.

Medicated feed has the same ingredient (amprollium) as Corid, the usual treatment for coccidiosis, but it does not contain enough of the amprollium to treat and out break. It is only supposed to help prevent coccidiosis as the chick is exposed to and building up a tolerance of it.

How old is the chicken? What are the symptoms, and how do the droppings look? If you want to treat for possible coccidiosis I would start some Corid in the water. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder, per gallon of water for 5-7 days. I would treat all birds that came at the same time.
First and only symptom thus far appears to have blood in their stool. No lethargy or anything else. It was completely fine earlier today I only noticed two piles of poo this evening. Theyre 8 weeks old this past Monday they're still in the brooder but will be moved to a run extension next to the existing run this weekend while still being separated from the existing flock for a couple more weeks til they grow more in size.

Coccidiosis can be a problem at that age. Please post any pictures of droppings with blood. I would not hesitate to start Corid, since it is very safe. Sometimes they can have normal intestinal shed which resembles tomato. If it occurs often or looks more like blood, I would treat.

Coccidiosis can be a problem at that age. Please post any pictures of droppings with blood. I would not hesitate to start Corid, since it is very safe. Sometimes they can have normal intestinal shed which resembles tomato. If it occurs often or looks more like blood, I would treat.
This is the stool that caught my attention. As I said before this it literally the only symptom. This is on my garage floor. My growing birds are escape artists...I would contain in the brooder...but they're going outside tomorrow so no point now.

Attachments

• 20210625_064339.jpg
    20210625_064339.jpg
    819 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom